alpine packs

wydrav13

I am a big fan of the CC world packs. For big loads I use the Ganite Gear Alpine Light. I have carried over 60 pounds in comfort with this pack (no frame, no pad on waist belt). The only fault of the granite gear pack is that the plastic clips are too small and weak (I break them when yanking the side straps tight). It would be possible to replace all the clips with a bigger size. The secret of making a frameless pack carry well is getting the right size pack, and packing it just right and cinching the compression straps down to make the whole pack stiffen up and become its own frame.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a Granite Gear Alpine Light. Has a lot of brilliant features and no useless ones. The tool tubes, crampon or other storage area with voile straps works great. Has a special little slot for your file as well. Super comfortable with enough adjustment to get it just right. The removeable z-rest foamy back support helps you trim weight from you sleeping pad as well. To make things carry better I just stuff my sleeping bag, parka and other things in so they fill up the voids and don't use stuff sacks. It's big enough for a 4 day winter trip or light enough for a day. It was also the only pack I used for 3 weeks on Aconcagua. The only feature it lacks is ski straps.

anyone have any experiance with Russi packs yet?

Fury 45, 3000 ci @ 3 lb 6 oz

783.gif

From their website ...

"Russi Mountain Works is a highly technical, sport specific backpack brand for mountain climbing. Born out of Madden Mountaineering, Russi has created the next generation of technical backpacks designed for skiing, rock climbing, ice climbing and technical hiking."

"Our packs are designed by a team of top pack designers formerly with Arcteryx, Lowe Alpine, Salomon and Madden Mountaineering."