stoves

climbing_kid

Two pennies worth:

MSR apparently grew tired of replacing all of the dragonflies which were dying due to carbon buildup in the "simmer" valve (the little paper-clip thing which you turn to control heat). NOW they make a small, specialized tool which is available -- they gave me mine for free, but I went there in person and pleaded my case, I think they charge for them now, something like $5 -- to ream out the simmer valve. A few whacks with the little tool and that baby fires right up. Call them if you have a dragonfly which is pissing you off, I love my dragonfly now that I've figured out what kind of field maintenance it needs. You can carry that little tool into the field for longer trips, or just clean the thing realy well before shorter trips.

I like the Fly because it simmers, and doesn't burn my rice and beans, which so many other stoves seem to do.

Of course, there is the old trick of releasing some of the pressure out of the Whisperlite fuel bottle to make it simmer, but you really need to keep an eye on it or it will extinguish. For simmering , the dragonfly kicks ass.

Hey David Parker, I had a Peak One moon landing unit too for awhile, and it DIED on me, in desperate times, I ended up eating snow and vowing to dropkick the thing across the leavenworth parking lot. Glad to hear someone beat me to it.

(By the way, I would have retrieved my stove and put it in the trash after dropkicking it, because Leavenworth is nowhere near the Polish Direct, and I am nowhere near Elite).

Steve

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jedi - thanks for the test info... that squares with a suggestion a friend of mine made which is that the problem wasn't in the plastic of the bottle or the lid, but in the styrofoam sealant ring that is incorporated into the lid... I didn't even know there was such a thing, but it doesn't surprise me that gas fumes and styrofoam didn't mix well.

Anyway, it was only a problem after about 4-5 weeks, and even then it didn't make the fuel unusable for the XGK. I was really impressed with the pop bottles as a way to carry extra fuel - light, cheap, durable, and you can crush them in your pack after they are empty.

MSR makes plastic bottles for storing fuel. I have two that hold 32 oz. each and have a pouring spout inside. As for stoves my vote is for the MSR Whisperlite International. The XKG does boil water faster, but I like to have the option to simmer and it boils water fast enough for me. I've never used butane stoves. I've also been using one of those titanium pots, which work well.

I have always used MSR stoves and liked the fact that they are easily repaired in the field, but have always been dissapointed in the frequent need for field repairs. Returning to camp cold, dehydrated and exhausted after a long winter climb, the last thing in the world I want to do is take apart my stove so cause its clogged(and I have been in this exact situation). I used the Apex II dru mentioned on a three week trip and loved it. The owner of the stove has had it for several years of very regular use and never had to do a thing to it. Its similar to a whisperlight but it simmers and doesn't require any priming rituals- just light it and go- plus its quiet so you can actually have a converstion while cooking (unlike the d-fly). I've been considering buying one for myself and I'd be real interested to know if anyone has had any bad experiences with these.

kevin

I called MSR and they don't recommend bending the fuel rod (big surprise there). The person I talked to said it could reduce the fuel flow. It could clog easier when traveling internationally when using "not so ideal fuel". I asked why they do not put a flexable braided line on the stove like the other stoves. The reason being is, it has a very small base so the stiff rod connected to the fuel bottle make it much more stable.

If you are using a stand (like the Trillium) then you do not need the ridgid rod but I guess not enough people dislike the rod to make a flexable line an option.

Other than that I like the XKG, it has served me well.

I think I am going to try to make a fiberglass stand tomorrow for the XKG for light weight applications when alpine climbing. Will be covered with a sheet of tin foil tp refect heat and weigh 2oz less than the Trillium. I wonder if the fiberglass get hot enough to melt?

Has anyone had experiance with Sigg Fire jet stoves? I have used mine for a couple of seasons now and am quite happy with it. Bought it on a lark from Sierra Trading Post ($17) Supposed to burn any fuel but I have only used it with white gas so far. I have lots of experiance w/MSR and am disgusted with the frequent need for field repair. Above 16000' the whisperlite was trouble and had to switch to the XGK. Anyway, so far so good with the fire jet. (But haven't been able to find a repair kit yet and can't interpret Sigg's web page)

------------------