What does it mean?

ClimbingPanther

What do you think this means?

Apparently, a significantly higher percentage of whites believe America is ready for a black president than the percentage of blacks who feel that way. Do many blacks perceive racism as more prevalent than it really is? Do many whites just lie to the polls and say what's politically correct? :confused:

I wonder if it's because racism is more prevalent in the south where a higher concentration of blacks live, so they see it as the big problem that it really is down there, but haven't experienced other parts of the country where those feelings are less common?

Where is racism at today anyway? How close is America to being "cured?" I sure don't see it much here in the NW.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure don't see it much here in the NW.

Wow....what a touchy subject. I see racism almost everyday. Or hear it. Yesterday a college of mine was telling a co-worker about this or that (it does not matter what they were talking about), she proceeded to tell this other employee about this person who ran an office somewhere. After telling her about it. She ended it by saying nonchalantly “and it was this huge black woman”.

Did she have to state her skin color? It was irrelevant to the topic. I never hear the same conversation and at the end hear “it was a huge white woman”. She did not even know that was a racist comment.

I sure don't see it much here in the NW.

Wow....what a touchy subject. I see racism almost everyday. Or hear it. Yesterday a college of mine was telling a co-worker about this or that (it does not matter what they were talking about), she proceeded to tell this other employee about this person who ran an office somewhere. After telling her about it. She ended it by saying nonchalantly “and it was this huge black woman”.

Did she have to state her skin color? It was irrelevant to the topic. I never hear the same conversation and at the end hear “it was a huge white woman”. She did not even know that was a racist comment.

can this be looked at the other way... as just describing someone. you seem not to have a problem with her describing another physical attribute... that she was huge.

maybe using it as a physical characteristic like this can be looked at as saying - the woman in a red shirt. which is far from describing a persons character.

isn't racism using their race/color/whatever to describe their character...based only on their race/color/whatever?

have you hung out w/ huge black women? very different experience than hanging out w/ big white chicks - better actually. since the experience is different, actually refering to it in language is helpful. course the chick you overheard could still be an asshole.

can this be looked at the other way... as just describing someone. you seem not to have a problem with her describing another physical attribute... that she was huge.

maybe using it as a physical characteristic like this can be looked at as saying - the woman in a red shirt. which is far from describing a persons character.

isn't racism using their race/color/whatever to describe their character...based only on their race/color/whatever?

Yes is can. But in this case it was not perceived by me or other to be anything else except an underlying tone of racism. Of course she did not know it was racist. Its called being stupid and we all do it everyday. I guarantee you that if the woman she was describing was white. You would never have heard a skin color.

I guarantee you that if the woman she was describing was white. You would never have heard a skin color

first of all.. you can't guarantee that... :grlaf:

secondly... since there are fewer blacks, describing someone as black can be a little more descriptive than describing a whitey. like saying - that 3 wheeled car... as opposed to that 4 wheeled car.

but, you're right - it is context. however, i'd have a hard time saying that it is ALWAYS racist to describe someone using their skin color. 'black' isn't a race, is it? it is a characteristic of certain races.

ever noticed about the only folks in the world worried'bout being racist are honkefied?

asians - racist as shit

latinos - racist as shit

would try to comment on the other races but don't have as much experience

what you say means nothing - what you think/feel does

Yesterday a college of mine was telling a co-worker about this or that (it does not matter what they were talking about), she proceeded to tell this other employee about this person who ran an office somewhere. After telling her about it. She ended it by saying nonchalantly “and it was this huge black woman”.

This statement proves that you have a bias against the obese. You're super-sensitive on race, but the real tragidy is your attitude against people-of-weight.

This is probably because you are a relatively skinny active climber-type and look down at those who are not. Too bad.

This statement proves that you have a bias against the obese. You're super-sensitive on race, but the real tragidy is your attitude against people-of-weight.

This is probably because you are a relatively skinny active climber-type and look down at those who are not. Too bad.

Come on phil….stop with your elitist bullshit, that statement does not prove anything. It is what it is.

Nice troll.

I'm not sure about where I stand. It's probably no more offensive to say, "look at that fat broad," vs "look at that fat black woman."

My guess is that everybody assumes that the fat woman is obviously white unless you qualify it by adding the word black. At least as long as the talker is a whity. The insulting part is ment to be the word fat.

What the hell do I know though. Personally I've seen plenty of hot black women and white women too.

stereotypes serve a certain evolutionary purpose - large, hairy thing w/ many sharp teeth? probably not a critter i want to be near. person different than me? probably here to steal my shit - kill!

civilized folk are compelled to be congnizant of their inate racism and control it with their good judgement

Come on kevbone….stop with your elitist bullshit, her statement does not prove anything. It is what it is.

Nice troll.