Climbing With Friends vs. Climbing Hard

G-spotter

I was eating sushi the other night and overheard two other sushi patrons discussing climbing.

They were talking about some guy they both know. And it seems like this guy is a gifted climber but climbs with other climbers who are not so good. And so perhaps is not living up to his potential.

In fact they said "Yeah, his problem is that he just goes out and climbs with his friends for fun. If he went climbing with some really strong guys and learned to project he could be sending V9 in two weeks".

So throwing this out to the cc.com peanut gallery, WTF?

Is it better to hang with friends and have fun or to push your grades even if it means making new friends? Sounds like in this case, having the most fun = being not the best climber.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was eating sushi the other night and overheard two other sushi patrons discussing climbing.

Hey eavesdropping sushi-chomper: how about not listening to other people's conversations?

eavesdrop.jpg

They were talking about some guy they both know. And it seems like this guy is a gifted climber but climbs with other climbers who are not so good. And so perhaps is not living up to his potential.

Were they two teenage girls gossiping?

12523452_e1cad3623c.jpg

In fact they said "Yeah, his problem is that he just goes out and climbs with his friends for fun. If he went climbing with some really strong guys and learned to project he could be sending V9 in two weeks".

V9....is that like V8 with extra-sprouts?

V-8%20Juice,%20Secret%20Ingredient.jpg

Sit-start!

richardsimmons.jpg

Is it better to hang with friends and have fun or to push your grades even if it means making new friends? Sounds like in this case, having the most fun = being not the best climber.

Sounds like you should be concentrating on YOUR OWN chopsticks while you dip into that plate of Crunchy Frog in Happy Sauce.

chernumkep.jpg

Who fucking cares.

The dilemma boy should just go climbing with his friends at some overcrowded, spray heavy, wankeriffic, sport crag...like many areas at Smith.

That way, he could still climb with his friends as they project his warm ups, climb harder stuff around the crowds of people who are climbing harder stuff, and voila the dilemma is gone.

But be warned, he will have to secure the following:

a. Dog named Nuptse, Lhotse, Sierra, or Marley

b. 18' extendable cheater pole

c. NorthFace puffy, sick beanie, prana prana prana, and no shirt outfits

d. A psuedo vegetarian girlfriend with nosering or lipring, toering, and tramp stamp.

Back in the day (10+ years ago), I fell in with a group of climbers who were much stronger than me. While they did most of the leading, I still ended up going from a weak 5.10 climber to a solid 5.12 climber pretty quickly.

Then, these guys all became obsessed with chopping bolts and being hard-core trad climbers (they called themselves the "hard pipe-swingers coalition"). I stopped climbing with them because it stopped being fun.

Now, I climb mostly with my wife or a couple friends who are not very experienced. I do all the leading and rarely climb anything harder than 5.8 and I've found that I actually prefer easier climbs.

If you're not making money from your climbing, it's just a hobby and the point of hobbies is to have fun, it's not to impress anybody...

Blah blah all this climbing talk….the real question is, how was the sushi?

From Urban Dictionary...this stuff is golden, i swear I learn something new everyday on cc.com:

"Tramp Stamp" is a derogatory term referring to a tattoo which a women places on her lower back. It is especially popular among women born in the late 70's, 80's, and even early 90's. Fair or unfair, these tattoos have a socially constructed connotation associated with them. These women are labeled as tramps, whores, or other derogatory sexually promiscuous terms. Although these are often bias generalized claims, there have been sociological studies done by the American Psychological Association, Federal Bureau of Prisons, and other demographic researchers showing strong correlative evidence associating tattoos with high risk behavior, illegal substance abuse and sexual promiscuity. These risk factors are greatest in the age range which these types of tattoos are gaining main stream popularity. Some have also jokingly stated that by 2050, the "tramp stamp" will be renamed the "gramp stamp".

Those chicks with tramp stamps are the kinds of girls you take home to bang. Don't get into relationships with them because they are often immature gold digging sluts who sleep with everyone. Oh yeah, make sure you use a rubber because you don't want to end up with chlamydia trachoma (which 1 in 20 women have between the ages of 14-39 according to the center of disease control... probably much higher if they have a tramp stamp considering the scientific coloration between sluttiness and tramp stamps).

:lmao: