GAAAAA !!!!

Climber57

Ok, is it ' Par For The Course ' - when taking a Mountaineering/Climbing course to be going nuts?

I never dreamed there would be so much technical information, having to be done in an exact way, under some time pressure..and - just when you think you may have one little itty-bitty-thing mastered - you get introduced to 8 more things which are added on top (and have to be intergrated with) of what you just learned !!!

Good Gosh ! I cannot imagine having someone's life in my hands feeling like I'm feeling now....

Whew...Thanks for letting me vent...

Is this normal - or am I a 'Special-Ed Climber Wanna Be' ?

Totally normal.

Think about it like you're learning a language. As you learn more words it becomes easier to make sentences. And it becomes easier to learn more words. It's the same with climbing instruction. As you start to retain things, the next step will be easier to comprehend.

Jason

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, is it ' Par For The Course ' - when taking a Mountaineering/Climbing course to be going nuts?

I never dreamed there would be so much technical information, having to be done in an exact way, under some time pressure..and - just when you think you may have one little itty-bitty-thing mastered - you get introduced to 8 more things which are added on top (and have to be intergrated with) of what you just learned !!!

What course?

What branch?

What topics?

I'm on the Seattle Basic Climbing Course lecture committee, and we're trying to make things taught conceptually, not by rigid steps, etc.

and - just when you think you may have one little itty-bitty-thing mastered - you get introduced to 8 more things which are added on top (and have to be intergrated with) of what you just learned !!!

Just wait till they get to the chapter on shorts-over-polypro. So many colors, so many variations! Its so confusing, so frustrating. It makes you want to just wear pants!

So what is a bowline used for. Why not just use a figure eight.

Isn't it also used when your the middle person tying into say a 3 person rope team?

That's what the butterfly is best at.

With the bowline, you can tie directly into the harness. With the butterfly, you need two additional biners.

So what is a bowline used for. Why not just use a figure eight.

Isn't it also used when your the middle person tying into say a 3 person rope team?

That's what the butterfly is best at.

With the bowlinegiant wad of crap, you can tie directly into the harness. With the butterfly, you need two additional biners.