GAAAAA !!!!

Climber57

Ok, is it ' Par For The Course ' - when taking a Mountaineering/Climbing course to be going nuts?

I never dreamed there would be so much technical information, having to be done in an exact way, under some time pressure..and - just when you think you may have one little itty-bitty-thing mastered - you get introduced to 8 more things which are added on top (and have to be intergrated with) of what you just learned !!!

Good Gosh ! I cannot imagine having someone's life in my hands feeling like I'm feeling now....

Whew...Thanks for letting me vent...

Is this normal - or am I a 'Special-Ed Climber Wanna Be' ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Relax! You learn better when you're not freaked out.

You're probably in some crash-course where you have to learn it all very quickly. Every weekend for three months or something? Just remember- this class is not what climbing is normally like. It's going to teach you how to climb, and it's not quite like being in a classroom, but it's still a fabricated learning environment.

Pick up as much as you can as fast as you can, but relax- there are people around to keep an eye on you and take care of you, right? You will be surprised at how easy it all becomes with some practice.

Ok, is it ' Par For The Course ' - when taking a Mountaineering/Climbing course to be going nuts?

I never dreamed there would be so much technical information, having to be done in an exact way, under some time pressure..and - just when you think you may have one little itty-bitty-thing mastered - you get introduced to 8 more things which are added on top (and have to be intergrated with) of what you just learned !!!

Good Gosh ! I cannot imagine having someone's life in my hands feeling like I'm feeling now....

I suggest that if you aren't doing this aleady that you get a group of your classmates to go climb and practice the stuff you are being taught outside of class. You don't learn by osmosis, you learn by doing. Get your hands on this stuff and it will make sense.

Also, read as much as you can. Go buy books and magazines other than those provided by your class.

Finally, go climbing with some of the people on this site. Many are quite willing to take newbies out cragging.

Sounds like alot. If you get stuck PM this guy. He knows all.

Bowline is faster if you want to tie the end of your rope around a tree

You can also tie in with a bowline even if you don't have a harness.

A bowline on a coil is essentially the same as a bowline but is considered a different knot.

What about the clove hitch? Yes, I could get by without it, but wouldn't want to. And it's such a damn easy knot to tie.

Here's hint that might help:

When your instructors tell you that you should practice tieing and untieing your knots in the dark, with your gloves on, in a cold shower, they don't really expect you to do that. They're just kidding (sort of).

I never could get behind the cold shower part, although at 15 that might have helped my concentration.

To this day I can still do all the needed knots in a quick jiffy with my eyes closed though