New to it all!!!

Rossman

Hello all. My name is Scott and I have recently moved to Central Oregon (Redmond) with my young family. I would really like to learn outdoors/wilderness skills so that I can go on long backpack trips etc when my boys are older. I am atheletic, but have very few skills at all in this arena. I don't even know where to start. Is anyone aware of a good group of mountaineers or hikers that teach newbies the skills needed? Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy a climbing harness and shoes, go out to Smith Rocks on any spring or fall weekend, and stand by the cinnamon slab for about a half hour and someone will invite you onto their rope and teach you to climb. You simply cannot live in Redmond and not learn how to climb. Otherwise PM me and I will take you and your family out to Smith and get you started next time I am down.

Moved to Redmond, I am envious.

sounds like you're more interested in backpacking though? rock climbing and backpacking are pretty different things - backpacking and mountaineering are more similiar though - if you're interested in volcano climbing, then the mazamas are indeed a fine choice

most enjoyable way for me to learn though is to find someone w/ a bit more experience than me and learn through them

see if there is a chapter of The Cascdians in your area. They are a group centered on backpacking and the chapter in central wash. teaches an alpine travel class every year. They instruct

on subjects as clothing,what kind of sleeping bags are available, cooking equipment all the things you will need an introduction on dealing with equipment and they include compass

and map, touch on GPS, self arrest, leave no trace and a host of other essential skills.

Another source may be your local mountain recue team.

Central wa. mountain rescue puts on a very well organized glacier travel couse in Yakima wa. there may be something on that line up there.

Good luck, have fun,be safe,leave no trace!!!

timy

• 3 weeks later...