Heli ski operation on Mt Waddington

philfort

A couple years ago when I was getting organized for a two-week ski trip in the Waddington Range I came across this page regarding the 'Warren Miller' trip to climb/ski Waddington:

http://www.marksynnott.com/expeditions/waddington.shtml

The folks who are in the movie did climb it rather than getting dropped off on top...they had a basecamp at the col between Wadd & Combatant...they just used Mike King's heli service for the approach, like most everyone does.

I was surprised that the Cold Fusion movie did a rather poor job of showing just how spectacular the Waddington Range is. Perhaps they had better footage that ended up on the cutting room floor so they could show the tumble over the 'schrund. Going there and skiing around you'll see far more mindblowing terrain than what ended up in the film (just my two cents).

Also kinda funny that that tumble which shows up in the movie wasn't even on Waddington itself...from the trip report on the link above, it sounds like after they flew back to Mike King's ranch, they squeezed in one day of actual 'heli skiing' elsewhere nearby for additional footage and thats when the fella went over the schrund.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic