solution for chaffing

high_on_rock

I am putting this in the Newbie list as it is a request for advice, and I don’t want it thrown out with the boxers/briefs poll in the Climbing forum. What solutions have people come up with to lessen "chaffing" when on long trips. Come on folks, withhold the urge to spray on this one (yes, spray may affect chaffing.)

Any great advice folks?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had a problem with chafffing when climbing, but to prevent chaffing during triathlon, there is a stick you can buy that goes on like roll-on deodorant that prevents chaffing around the creases in your wetsuit. Also, i use Chamois Butter (find at any bike store) for long century rides and this prevents chaffing as well.

Try Body Glide - worked great for me on the PCT last summer. 12+ hour days hiking in up to 100 degree heat makes for lots of sweat. Works well on monkey butt (sweat between the cheeks is a killer) and anywhere else you'll start to chafe. Apply liberally on potential problem areas for prevention, or as needed to treat chafe.

Should be able to find it at the evil empire or stores that cater to runners / triathletes.

Yeah, Body Glide is the stick roll-on I was referring to. Although I am not sure how well it would work in the crotch. hence the chamoise Buttr. One issue with Chamoise butter though is that it may be difficult to get out of clothes. Reaed the label first. it comes out of tri-shorts, but cxan gum up the butt pad a little over time.

I've been on a lot of forces marches with considerable weight for distance and time. The best bet for me was powder gold bond medicated or vaseline if you are really going to push it, IE 20 miles in 6-8 hours. And going commando with loose fitting clothing. Baby wipes were considered mission critical for long days in the feild where hygene can be poor at best.

Nothing beats general conditioning, just hiking/road marching alot.

Edited by gruntpltleader

I am putting this in the Newbie list as it is a request for advice, and I don’t want it thrown out with the boxers/briefs poll in the Climbing forum. What solutions have people come up with to lessen "chaffing" when on long trips. Come on folks, withhold the urge to spray on this one (yes, spray may affect chaffing.)

Any great advice folks?

Here's what adventure racers use:

For dry conditions: Chamois Butter or other similar body lube, available at cycling or running stores.

For conditions that may be wetter: Hydropel (available at same kinds of outlets. You might see what ARGEAR.com.

After you have chafed: Neosporin.

Keep these handy (on your waist belt, etc.) You'll need to reapply them periodically.

For multiday trips, handywiping your stanky areas, or simply rinsing them with water to remove the salts and bacteria, is critical.

Don't use vaseline. It's a petroleum product that rapes some people with a chainsaw, particularly after really long distances. No one in the adventure racing world uses this crap anymore, but if it's all you have, you can employ it for shorter distances. Even chapstick or sunblock works in a pinch...but not very well.

Stop wearing underwear, if you haven't already. If you must wear an undergarment, use a tight fitting, smooth lycra like shorts with minimal seams.

And don't listen to the 'you're just not hard enough' crowd. EVERYONE chafes eventually. The top adventure racers in the world lube up more than a bevvy of L.A. dental hygienists before a video shoot.

I would also recommend electrolyte pills, such as E-Caps (available at the above outlets) for longer trips. These contain all the salts the human body needs, balanced for our pH. In the heat, 1 or 2 per hour will keep you going forever. It's surprising how few climbers have discovered them.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Infant diaper rash has some similar features to adult chaffing rash, and the products made for it can be useful once you've got irritation.

Triple paste, though expensive, not only provides a barrier but helps promote healing. Your pediatrician can probably hook you up with free samples. Perhaps that's TMI.

Tight, synthetic wicking layers are useful, as mentioned. Yep, shorts over polypro has its value!

"Bag Balm" is popular on my fire crew where we regularly go 14 days working in 100F temps in the same clothes. Comes in a green cube-shaped tin and is made for cow udders. Never used it myself, but heard it's a ~1 day cure. I'll second the baby wipes for daily "maintenance". A commando coworker used these...

...and if you're a fan of dark beer, espresso, and dry red wine go for Gold Bond in the BLUE bottle...potent!

• 1 month later...
For long trips Cottonelles (baby wipes for adults) are a mandatory item for me for keeping clean and reducing chafing. Vaseline also worked well during long thru-hikes. Neosporin helps if you don't catch it in time.

You get a 2-for-1 if you use A & D ointment. Plus, its cheaper.