Smoking pot and climbing thread

billcoe

Yep, unsafe climbers are going to be unsafe regardless... drunk, stoned, or otherwise. No arguments there.

And for those with the "there was a guy one time...", how do you know? Were you there? Rummors? Legends? Seems retarded for somebody to talk about a previous accident with no basis for what (if any) drugs may have been involved.

Experiences speak volumes. For me, I am speaking from my own experience when I say that "for me, never again". I just didn't function clearly enough when stoned. Scared the shit out of me after I sobered up. Besides it makes me not perform worth a shit.

Those of you that do, more power to you; whatever works for ya man. My original point was "just never understood the seemingly higher percentage of those who partake in the climbing community". Somebody said on a previous page that it could be because we tend to be more open. Makes sense I guess.

Just wondering though, do you think you are actually SAFER smoking than not? There seems to be a few who are suggesting this. I'd like to hear the logic with this. To simply say "I'm less afraid" seems foolish. Please identify yourself while climbing so I know to turn around and get the fuck out of there. I'd rather be around a mellow stoned climber than a fearless stoned climber! :noway:

Not exactly the same, but a loose comparison could be made with drunk driving.... it's not only you who is being effected. If you drop a cam on someone's head because you are too busy packing your bowl, are we suppose to feel better about it somehow? Not looking to change anybody's lifestyle and you will do what you want to do... it's what makes our society great. But there should be some amount of acknowledgement by those who smoke that in their altered state they can't always make a "clear headed" decision due specifically because, maybe, just this one time, you took one too many hits.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I never smoke.

I'd heard this story and It goes like this.

Two climbers were high and decide to go "mixed" climbing on a route that was about 90% rock. After laping the route 6 times, on the 6th time the chunk of ice at the top of the route, which they had probable axed into several times that day, "suprisingly" came off as they drove there axe into it. Shocking that ice can only handle so many laps! Then as the ice and climber began to fall, the belay partner tried to get out of the way, and forgot to arrest the fall! Luckily the rope twisted up, knotting up the belay device. Close call! Then as they were begining to lower they inspected a sling they had been using around a tree and realized that the fixed sling was shreaded. I know what your thinking, Why would anyone trust a fixed sling without first inspecting? Another close call. Fortunatly for these two climbers, weed didn't kill them that day.

I saw this story in the ice forum section about a month ago.

Oh my god, Stewart, you just won the Cuntybahs of the Year award.

This isn't going to be one of those "you're probably a good guy" posts. You're not.

I was one of those two stoners. There were no drugs involved. I successfully caught my partner while dodging 250 lbs of falling ice. There were no laps involved (that was another route); this was his first attempt on the route. The sling, on another route, was a directional, not a rap anchor; it was discovered because I DID check it (I always do).

Perhaps

*** edited for graphicly violent fantasy content ***

being born from actual human parents will improve your memory next time, you lying sack of watery shit.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Just wondering though, do you think you are actually SAFER smoking than not?

not climbing, but driving - an anecdote: coming back from beacon rock one sunny afternoon in a most enlightened state of mind, while also sipping a cold frosty one from the elegant skamania market, i got cut off by some jackass pulling out onto 14 in washougal - usually i'm a very aggressive driver, and in an entirely sober state would no doubt have speed up, yelled at the guy, and tried to pass him. instead, i just turned up "kinky reggae" and went back to jam'n. about 30 seconds later, the jackass, now a good 200 yards ahead of me, gets in a near fatal accident. the car in front of him bizarrely decides to cut a u-turn w/o checkign his mirror, and he t-bones it at 50 mph. if i had been sober, i'd have been up there, racing along at 70 or so. as it was, i was able to calmly set my pale ale down while slowly steering my way through the debris cloud, laughing my ass off (not saying my enlightenment makes me a better human being).

this kind of thing is very true in the alpine - the weather looks iffy and scary - i'm stoned, i'll be extra cautious

at the crag - paranoia - double check knot, gear, shoes, helmet, holds, everything. it certainly doesn't improve my climbing technique though! i've probably ended up welding my feet and hands in cracks more frequently while feeling The Fear.

Edited by ivan

at the crag - paranoia - double check knot,

I wasnt aware you ever climbed with a rope.

you know, the noose i like to tie around my head while soloing the corner? if i fall off the top of the slab i wanna be sure my head gets yanked off before i hit ground, 'cuz that might hurt. the noose must be just right to work.

at the crag - paranoia - double check knot,

I wasnt aware you ever climbed with a rope.

you know, the noose i like to tie around my head while soloing the corner? if i fall off the top of the slab i wanna be sure my head gets yanked off before i hit ground, 'cuz that might hurt. the noose must be just right to work.

Oh....that rope.

First off, I never smoke.

I'd heard this story and It goes like this.

Two climbers were high and decide to go "mixed" climbing on a route that was about 90% rock. After laping the route 6 times, on the 6th time the chunk of ice at the top of the route, which they had probable axed into several times that day, "suprisingly" came off as they drove there axe into it. Shocking that ice can only handle so many laps! Then as the ice and climber began to fall, the belay partner tried to get out of the way, and forgot to arrest the fall! Luckily the rope twisted up, knotting up the belay device. Close call! Then as they were begining to lower they inspected a sling they had been using around a tree and realized that the fixed sling was shreaded. I know what your thinking, Why would anyone trust a fixed sling without first inspecting? Another close call. Fortunatly for these two climbers, weed didn't kill them that day.

I saw this story in the ice forum section about a month ago.

Oh my god, Stewart, you just won the Cuntybahs of the Year award.

This isn't going to be one of those "you're probably a good guy" posts. You're not.

I was one of those two stoners. There were no drugs involved. I successfully caught my partner while dodging 250 lbs of falling ice. There were no laps involved; this was his first attempt on the route. The sling, on another route, was a directional, not a rap anchor; it was discovered because I DID check it (I always do).

Perhaps a couple of my ice tools to let the air out of your forehead will improve your memory next time, you lying sack of watery shit.

Tvash...he thought he would add his words to your story and make himself sound like he has half a brain

trashterkatenana, that was you? My bad! Are you sure you weren't high? Maybe I misunderstood.

"Trash someohow managed to arrest me and survive unhurt aided by a tangle that jammed in the belay device" "We were using an pre-existing old sling as a directional (only a mild swing would have resulted had it failed). It held through 6 laps, including a bit of hangdogging."

I do not ice climb and wouldn't pretend to understand. I only came across the story after Jens came around to "self-promote" himself in another forum.

Hey, I understand using an old sling, sometimes it just gets too heavy and tedious to carry and use your own.

Your last line is hilarious. Can I use that in my 4th grade classroom? They'll love it without the "shit" part, maybe I'll just use "do-do" or "#2".

trashterkatenana, maybe you can help me out with something. The kids in my classroom always say, "Can't wait till 4:20!" What does this mean? I know it has something to do with marijuana, but I am unsure.

trashterkatenana, please be gentle, I realize this is in the "Spray" forum.

I am a "good guy", just don't understand how to spray. You guys sound really hard-core, I'm sure I could learn alot from you.

Stewart

Cindy66, would you like to go on a date? You sound like a really interesting person and I would love to get to know you better.

I'll wait for your response off-line.

Scratch that, I think you and catbirdseat would make a better couple.

Stewart

Stewart ......Now stewy let me give you words of advice......

IF YOU CAN'T HUNT WITH THE BIG DOGS,.........STAY ON THE PORCH.

don't give me reason to spray .

Cindy66, would you like to go on a date? You sound like a really interesting person and I would love to get to know you better.

Stewart

Stewart ......Now stewy let me give you words of advice......

IF YOU CAN'T HUNT WITH THE BIG DOGS,.........STAY ON THE PORCH.

don't give me reason to spray .

Oh Stewart can hunt with the big dogs. He took you hunting didnt he? Ruff.....ruff.

Edited by kevbone

Stewart

Mega City Municiple code 413: trolling

Sentence: death

judge-dredd.gif

Muir on Saturday :grlaf:

more so than in the past, if you've actually been able to make it to muir this season ya gotz the right to do whatever low-life sleazy shit you can dream up!

Muir is the ideal spot to practice smoking pot at altitude. If you have to fight about it online then good luck that's a more advanced talent.

My advice is start small then go big.

Stewart

Mega City Municiple code 413: trolling

Sentence: death

judge-dredd.gif

The real question now is, which one of us is using Judge Dread as a second (or third, or forth) avatar? My guess. G-spotter. With over 35000 known posts, I would not put it past him. Hi G-string!