Smoking pot and climbing thread

billcoe

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My proposed experiment would just quantify the effects of treatment on pure reaction time. It's an easy and convincing experiment that you could actually do to and see what happens in the population of main interest (yourself). On the other hand, your suggestion is only a joke!

I'm pretty darn sure that you'd see a significant reaction-time effect under alcohol treatment, while I'm not quite sure what would happen with the herb treatment.

I agree with your implicit assertion that reaction time is not the only facet of catching a falling leader. I think where herb (and alcohol) would cause a big effect is in the the ability to pay close attention for a prolonged period of relative inaction. I'm sure there have been experiments done on that.

First off, I never smoke.

I'd heard this story and It goes like this.

Two climbers were high and decide to go "mixed" climbing on a route that was about 90% rock. After laping the route 6 times, on the 6th time the chunk of ice at the top of the route, which they had probable axed into several times that day, "suprisingly" came off as they drove there axe into it. Shocking that ice can only handle so many laps! Then as the ice and climber began to fall, the belay partner tried to get out of the way, and forgot to arrest the fall! Luckily the rope twisted up, knotting up the belay device. Close call! Then as they were begining to lower they inspected a sling they had been using around a tree and realized that the fixed sling was shreaded. I know what your thinking, Why would anyone trust a fixed sling without first inspecting? Another close call. Fortunatly for these two climbers, weed didn't kill them that day.

I saw this story in the ice forum section about a month ago.

Two climbers were high and decide to go "mixed" climbing on a route that was about 90% rock. After laping the route 6 times, on the 6th time the chunk of ice at the top of the route, which they had probable axed into several times that day, "suprisingly" came off as they drove there axe into it. Shocking that ice can only handle so many laps! Then as the ice and climber began to fall, the belay partner tried to get out of the way, and forgot to arrest the fall! Luckily the rope twisted up, knotting up the belay device. Close call! Then as they were begining to lower they inspected a sling they had been using around a tree and realized that the fixed sling was shreaded. I know what your thinking, Why would anyone trust a fixed sling without first inspecting? Another close call. Fortunatly for these two climbers, weed didn't kill them that day.

Um, fuck you dickhead, you don't even know those guys and I do. I know for a fact that the one climbing was in no way in any altered state.

Stewart, I'm curious why you've decided that these two guys were high? Their report didn't say anything about that, and clearly you haven't spoken to either of them about it. So, did you just make that part up, or what? :confused:

Once when I was in college I knew a guy who went climbing with another guy who I knew. They climbed this pinnacle at the NRG that has a mellow route up to a ledge. Above the ledge is 20' of easy 5th class rock. The guys I knew dropped the rope on the ledge and scrambled up the 20' of easy rock to the summit where they partook and watched the sun set. I heard it was a very cool sunset and that what they partook of was good too.

The sun having set they decided it was time to down climb to the anchors and rap off. However... upon beginning the down-climb they discovered that it is very hard to reverse simple rock moves sans rope when you are 80' off the deck and stoned out of your mind. So they climbed back up and sat on the top scratching their heads and discussing their options. Luckily they had dropped the rope but not the gear. They then proceeded to fashion a make shift rope / chain out of all the carabiners and slings. i heard the chain was about 8 feet long. They had some cams too. So they then began leap frogging down the 20' of easy climbing.... one person downclimbing about 6 feet, stuffing a cam in a crack and then next person leap frogging down.

Time slowed to a crawl and the section which had taken then 1 minute to scramble up took them close to 30 minutes to down-climb.

They reached the rope well after dark and fiddled about rigging an anchor without headlamps. Upon reaching the ground I heard that they swore never to partake and climb again.

I knew this guy once I used to work with, who use to hang out with this other guy, who use to climbed with this other guy, who knew some other climbers who smoked doped and died. Drugs are bad umm kay....

How about you guys start speaking from your own experience, jeezus christ. These stories are like the type of stories I heard about drugs when I was kid. "Oh man, I'd never take acid, you'll see all kinds of freaky shit and there is a good chance you'll never come down." or "I wouldn't smoke pot cause it will lead you to harder drugs, and before you know know it your living on the streets looking for your next fix." Pot is no different than any other drug out there legal or illegal.

Like DH said, I heard about more accidents where people were sober, maybe that means its safer to climb stoned? Shit.....well thats the logic you fools that say, "I never smoked weed, but hell that is crazy, I'd never do it and go climbing. There was a guy I knew who knew another guy...." Fuck there has been several people I have hooked up with to go climbing who never blazed anything, dropped anything, sipped on anything while we were out, but I tell ya I was so happy when when wee got to unrope, cause they were freaking scary idiots who shouldn't be climbing.