How gun control doesn't really work

sheaf_stout

For those who think gun control works by keeping guns out of the hands of criminals read this...

http://www.examiner.com/a-573391~Freedom_from_fear_is_also_a_right.html?cid=all-hp-featured_editorial

The Washington DC Examiner Newspaper, The Examiner

Feb 19, 2007 3:00 AM (20 hrs ago)

District residents have been the guinea pigs in a failed 30-year-old experiment in social engineering. Three decades of strict gun control laws have not made the capital city’s streets safer. On the contrary, since 1976, D.C.’s murder rate has increased 32 percent, and violent crimes committed during the first few weeks of 2007 by gun-wielding thugs are up a staggering 50 percent over the same period last year.

None other than former Mayor Marion Barry, now representing Ward 8 on the D.C. Council, is waving the white flag of surrender by introducing legislation to provide potential victims a limited window of opportunity to arm themselves in self defense. “We are in the midst of a gun-violence epidemic,” Barry said. Everybody but the criminals are abiding by the city’s gun control laws [which] have long been among the toughest in the nation. Not only are District residents forbidden from owning firearms not registered before 1977, they must also keep legal rifles and shotguns at home, unloaded, disassembled and useless against an armed intruder.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drug pedalers should be dealt with a lot more harshly than what goes on today. It's really an off subject remark you have but this state is pretty pathetic when it comes to penalizing the perpetrators. Example when they let people like Gary Ridgeway get off without the death penalty. No excuses.

Well, yes, hanging drug users and dealers (as an example) would certainly be one way of dealing with the gun violence problem, but I reckon that would be an even harder sell than drug legalization, eh? Well, maybe not the drug dealer problem, per se. Does this mean we could deal with the alcoholism problem the same way? Or did you just mean, 'build more prisons'? If so, I'll just add that to the list of expensive public works projects you're advocating.

Well, yes, hanging drug users and dealers (as an example) would certainly be one way of dealing with the gun violence problem, but I reckon that would be an even harder sell than drug legalization, eh? Well, maybe not the drug dealer problem, per se. Does this mean we could deal with the alcoholism problem the same way? Or did you just mean, 'build more prisons'? If so, I'll just add that to the list of expensive public works projects you're advocating.

I prefer to keep the gun control and drugs as separate issues when appropriate. Fine example here because you muddy the waters from the subject which is many honest citizens have guns and should continue to possess this right to defend themselves. The whole wack job method of just outlawing them doesn't work. BTW never did say hang drug dealers.

Your pathetic conclusions\delusions about building more prisons are not even on par with the topic. Maybe you should start your own since you want to talk about them.

Looking at your post you have made some cheap shots which are all off topic and tried to finger me into saying things which I did not. You'll have to do better than that.

why keep gun violence and drugs separate when they clearly aren't? that's no way to go about solving a problem. since you aren't actually saying anything, i have no problem hijacking your thread. i have no problem with people having guns to defend themselves. what you want, and aren't saying, is that you want people to leave law-abiding citizens alone. I'm with you on that too. You seem unwilling to connect the dots that if you don't do something about the actual 'drugs/gun problem', there are going to be significant numbers of people who simply say 'ban guns'. You solve the 'gun problem' another way, e.g. by legalizing drugs, people are going to stop thinking about 'gun violence' and leave gun-owning citizens alone, right? all you single article showed was that banning guns doesn't do much. that's not much of a surprise. or was that your only point and you didn't want anyone debating the policy implications of it? wrong place, kemosabe.

why keep gun violence and drugs separate when they clearly aren't? that's no way to go about solving a problem. since you aren't actually saying anything, i have no problem hijacking your thread. i have no problem with people having guns to defend themselves. what you want, and aren't saying, is that you want people to leave law-abiding citizens alone. I'm with you on that too. You seem unwilling to connect the dots that if you don't do something about the actual 'drugs/gun problem', there are going to be significant numbers of people who simply say 'ban guns'. You solve the 'gun problem' another way, e.g. by legalizing drugs, people are going to stop thinking about 'gun violence' and leave gun-owning citizens alone, right? all you single article showed was that banning guns doesn't do much. that's not much of a surprise. or was that your only point and you didn't want anyone debating the policy implications of it? wrong place, kemosabe.

It sounds like you are full of yourself to me. They should castrate the drug dealers. Pot or not.

What is wrong with the implications of leaving the gun laws the way they are now? Please enlighten us to your knowledgable debate.

It looks to me like sheaf_stout is only here to stir up shit and shoot holes into your liberal mob.

Drug pedalers should be dealt with a lot more harshly than what goes on today. It's really an off subject remark you have but this state is pretty pathetic when it comes to penalizing the perpetrators. Example when they let people like Gary Ridgeway get off without the death penalty. No excuses.

I prefer to keep the gun control and drugs as separate issues when appropriate

Here we see the amazing dexterity of Sheaf Stout's logic. Two quotes, minutes apart; the first, comingling drug offenses with a mass murderer, the next, a furtive plea to CC's liberal sophists to keep gun control and drugs separate. Given the revolutionary statistics he's graced our cadre of liberal ignorami with recently regarding the tsunami of homocidal illegal aliens currently invading our nation right under our noses, this latest sunburst of light upon the dark shadows of latte sucking groupthink should come as no surprise. The milspeak "no excuses" only adds to the planetary weight of his argument.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Here we see the amazing dexterity of Sheaf Stout's logic. Two quotes, minutes apart; the first, comingling drug offenses with a mass murderer, the next, a furtive plea to CC's liberal sophists to keep gun control and drugs separate. Given the revolutionary statistics he's graced our cadre of liberal ignorami with recently regarding the tsunami of homocidal illegal aliens currently invading our nation right under our noses, this latest sunburst of light upon the dark shadows of latte sucking groupthink should come as no surprise. The milspeak "no excuses" only adds to the planetary weight of his argument.

You love me. Only media reports and studies made by your fine democracy. Glad to know that I have disrupted the normal complacency here.

I really get a kick out of all the racist remarks. I'm not white.

"homiedaclown"?

This debate predates the Pleistocene. It's been around this block so many times the curbs are worn down.

No one really gives a shit about gun control. Crime has declined over the past decade. It's just not one of society's most pressing issues anymore. Who Fucking Cares?

Having said that, the solution to mitigating criminal use of guns has been obvious for decades: a) Require federally licensed gun dealers to have an actual storefront and keep accurate records and b) perform backround checks and have waiting periods for gun purchasers.

Pretty fucking simple.

Got something more interesting, timely, and imaginative you'd like to discuss with us liberal mobsters? Otherwise, you're helping us fix our sleep apnia issues.

"homiedaclown"?

This debate predates the Pleistocene. It's been around this block so many times the curbs are worn down.

No one really gives a shit about gun control. Crime has declined over the past decade. It's just not one of society's most pressing issues anymore. Who Fucking Cares?

Having said that, the solution to mitigating criminal use of guns has been obvious for decades: a) Require federally licensed gun dealers to have an actual storefront and keep accurate records and b) perform backround checks and have waiting periods for gun purchasers.

Pretty fucking simple.

Got something more interesting, timely, and imaginative you'd like to discuss with us liberal mobsters? Otherwise, you're helping us fix our sleep apnia issues.

Such a simple solution that doesn't work. As you can see then only the criminals have guns.

I'n nodding off over here, non white boy.

I didn't expect a laborious debate.... The article is proof that gun control is a placebo.

One article is proof?

You are stupid. I was right about you. Did you buy that one book your proffered as proof about crime? Did you even read it? How can you offer an item of proof when you did not buy it or read it?

How old are you? You are either to young to use your own brain or too old to know your brain was never in use.

I like gun control you fucking commie. I hold it with two hands and practice breathing control. I can pick your ass off at 700yds with a 7.62 NATO ball round. I have a fucking rifle expert medal to prove it too.

I just don't irresponsinble, bad stat quoting, commie assholes like you having guns.

Gun control...who cares....the right to shoot stupid people..well that would make gun control relevant.

You're still boring. You throw your old, questionable web sites and psuedo-evidence and run like a coward. Be a man or woman or whatever you are and stick around for the heat.

God damn, I wish we had some of the other ankle biters around. They were entertaining.

Edited by Clavote

You love me. Only media reports and studies made by your fine democracy. Glad to know that I have disrupted the normal complacency here.

I really get a kick out of all the racist remarks. I'm not white.

You just want to be white. We know.

You're Michael Jackson!

Look, there is nothing wrong with being white, black, or any other shade. I like variety. Most people do.

So what shade of self hating non-white are you?

However, being stupid should be a crime. You should have said you were not stupid. I would have bought that.