Another accident on Hood

mullster

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that even though my taxes have already paid the costs of this rescue, next year's emergency rescue budget, therefore, my taxes will rise.

Fees are charged for access to other national lands, why not Mt. Hood?

Your taxes will not be increased next year as a result of this search any more than they'll be increased as a result of having 5 deputies spending 8 hours at the home of some tweaker out in Estacada. Budgets/taxes aren't set by tallying up the minute details of the costs in any given year.

A better question regarding national lands access fees is "why have fees at all?". Why should I have to pay anything (other than my exisitng very high tax load) to access them?

And fees ARE charged for Mt. Hood the same as any other national forest. The exception/difference is with access from Timberline due to the commercial nature of the ski area.

Edited by gslater

One could argue that Trolls play an important part in stimulating discussions by presenting different perspectives from outside the climber community. Open discussion is a worth-while thing. Alternatively, they could just be argumentative jerks with no redeeming values whatsoever as they attempt to foment unwarranted concerns among the non-climbing public through exaggeration far beyond that which is supported by the current data. Hmmm...

We could just tax anyone who knows kevbone..

Its funny, as long as we never have to use emergency services like police/fire dept people are happy to pay for them (or too stupid to notice that they ARE AREADY paying for them. Then when they actually get busy and do something, certain people start complaing about the "extra costs"..once again ..DUMB

Maybe we should charge motorists for the cost of having police and fire depts respond to traffic emergencies and accidents...? Wouldn't the payback be much bigger?

I agree. Why should my tax dollars go to save the life of some fool who decided to recklessly endanger himself by driving on the freeway to get to work? I would much rather my taxes went to important things like subsidies to agribusiness, or politician's salaries.

Until Mt. Hood has a team of climbing rangers stationed on the mountain the entire climbing season, will fly my shit (literally) off the mountain, and will provide up to the minute route information, weather conditions, and staffed with MDs at several locations on the mountain, then you cannot compare Mt. Hood to Denali......

I still have yet to pay for a NW Forest Pass EXCEPT at Timberline. - Any unmaintained NW Forest Pass Zone, I simply put up my window decal statingI am here for other reasons than recreation. I have yet to get a ticket.......Even if I did I would not pay it.....

I did here a report on the radio that climbers yesterday in Salem spoke out against the Bill to carry MLUs.

Seems like when the out of towners died earlier this year that the local climbers weren't really willing to criticize their actions publically, whereas when these guys made similar mistakes only with less severe consequences for both themselves and the SAR folks that everyone lays into them. Just my sense, but I think that the responses here have been inconsistent at best, which raises the question of why people feel compelled to post criticisms of people's actions.

The best reason would be to learn from past mistakes ala ANAM. A skeptic would say that people like to shit on others that have made mistakes ... unless the people that made the mistakes paid with their lives ... in which case people would feel worse about shitting on them.

Just some food for thought.

These are 2 completely different events and circumstances..any number of things could have gone wrong with the 3 in December - we don't know. When I was up there Saturday however, every snowshoein, skinnin up, mom and there kid new what was comming in and that Saturday was the only day to do what ever you wanted to do on the mountain (including descend).

I mostly just lurk here- but...

I was also up there on Saturday (on skis, with my dog) - an amazing and beautiful day. Also however, it is difficult to comprehend what "weather" is like up there unless you've crawled down from I-saddle unable to tell up from down. In my opinion, the same was true when the out-of-towners died; storms were lined up waiting to come in. If you get away with it, it's a good story. If not, some wanker mocks you.

I also recognized that Saturday was the end of it for a while, and I personally would not have stayed til Sunday (don't particularly like the misery). Nevertheless, if you haven't committed some sort of (serious) error in judgement in the mountains at some point, you probably aren't really a climber, and/or don't have the experience to justify your spray. And I direct this to the critics. Give 'em a break. The truth is that they walked down, and probably didn't need the "rescue".

Maybe we should charge motorists for the cost of having police and fire depts respond to traffic emergencies and accidents...? Wouldn't the payback be much bigger?

I agree. Why should my tax dollars go to save the life of some fool who decided to recklessly endanger himself by driving on the freeway to get to work? I would much rather my taxes went to important things like subsidies to agribusiness, or politician's salaries.

Do you even live in America?

The truth is that they walked down, and probably didn't need the "rescue".

I heard the reports that they were going to walk down, but then saw a news story yesterday that said they actually hopped a snowcat ride for "just the last 2 miles", which I suppose is just about how far they were from T-line. I can imagine them walking out of the canyon, and then hopping into a snowcat.

Do you even live in America?

Yeah, G-spot, STFU until you live in a country where you pay taxes, people have jobs, drive to them on freeways, emergency services are supported by tax dollars, the government provides supports to private business, and pays politicians their salaries.

Nice job spotting the lack of comparison, Kevbone.

:smirk:

The truth is that they walked down, and probably didn't need the "rescue".

I heard the reports that they were going to walk down, but then saw a news story yesterday that said they actually hopped a snowcat ride for "just the last 2 miles", which I suppose is just about how far they were from T-line. I can imagine them walking out of the canyon, and then hopping into a snowcat.

Speculation at its best!