Grivel helmet with clear shield

Matt_Stanley

Has anyone used the Grivel helmet with the clear plastic face shield? The reason I ask is I'm looking for a way to climb ice with my glasses. I can't wear contacts, so currently I either deal with the fogging and water buildup on my glasses or I climb stuff that bears a fuzzy resemblance to ice. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Matt Stanley

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I just couldn't help responding to this one. Instead of the water hitting your glasses and obstructing your vision, it will instead hit the visor and obstruct your vision. As far as fogging is concerned, your glasses will fog even worse as a result of the decreased air circulation. I do not know whether rain-x will work on plastic, and it might ruin the shield. If you go that route, you better test the rain-x first.

I never used it but saw a gal following Icy BC yesterday morning and thought it looked smart. Kind of bulky but I would imagine it would work great in your situation. I could imagine if you geton a route with the "dripping effect" it could hamper your vision. But you could slap some Rainx on and I bet it would perform well.

-Ray

Dandy, your grasp of the obvious underwhelms me. Having worn eyeglasses in inclement weeather for over 16 years, I'm well aware of the fact that restricted air circulation induces fogging, with goggles, close-fitting shields, etc..

My post did not ask those who have not used the Grivel helmet/shield system to sarcastically shoot from the hip about its efficacy. I posted in order to get info from those who have used the system or have suggestions that might work.

I'll take the risk of a post a little off topic per use of the grivel hemlet.

One thing you might try is climbing without your glasses. I've read that Tuan leads grade 6 ice without his!

I don't know how well it would work, and I probably wouldn't like it, but it's worth a try!

The other thing that you could do is spit on your glasses and rub that around on both sides before each pitch. That works for scuba masks at least.

I own such a helmet. The visor is great, change the tape to fix it asap with regular double hardware tape.

It does fog up on climbs when you sweat a lot, but is great for mixed.

To improve the fogging up, apply washing up soap with cotton.

Gilles

quote:

Originally posted by Matt Stanley:

Has anyone used the Grivel helmet with the clear plastic face shield? The reason I ask is I'm looking for a way to climb ice with my glasses. I can't wear contacts, so currently I either deal with the fogging and water buildup on my glasses or I climb stuff that bears a fuzzy resemblance to ice. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Matt Stanley

I saw a climber in Lillooet with the helmet. I was impressed by it and asked him. He said that it is good but the visor fogs up. He climbed with the shield though, so go figure.

I've tried the Bollé RX goggle inserts with poor results. While my vision was clear, my depth perception was completely shot. I couldn't tell something was one foot or three feet away from me. If anybody's found a better system, I'd love to hear about it.

I have also climbed without my glasses. I'm pretty much guaranteed a nasty headache from all the squinting.

If you want a better way to climb w/or w/o your glasses I think Rx goggles are the way to go. You can use them for climbing big mountains, skiing, washing your dog, etc. I think that's a better alternative to the helmet, which will make your glasses fog up even more. If it gets too warm, hopefully you have a good pair of Rx sunglasses to switch to. I think the helmet looks kinda dorky anyways.