[TR] Mountaineers Creek 2/16/06 - various 2/16/2007

rob

Trip: Mountaineers Creek 2/16/06 - various

Date: 2/16/2007

Trip Report:

Tvashtarkatena and I hit up Mountaineers Creek today. Great area! We didn't have a guide book or really any beta, but I think we were climbing in the "shorts over polypro" area -- it was the first main area after the "log scoot."

We yo-yo'd a couple of routes and had a blast. Great weather, good climbing, good ice, great day. :tup:

We managed to find some good ice and great climbing -- but it seems to be wearing down pretty quick. It was getting pretty rotten in some places, but still good in others. Get it while it lasts!

By the afternoon, though, the ice really started spontaneously coming down on top of us, so we hit the road. On the hike out, I heard several BOOMS from the drainage area (presumably) from ice coming down. I'm not sure how much longer this stuff will last, but probably not too much longer. :(

great trip, Tvash, lets do it again sometime. :wave:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was an excellent trip for joggin the enterpreneurial imagination. I'm working on a new design for "ass crampons", worn externally like a diaper, for those early season log crossings. "Pampons", if you will.

Investors?

I prefer to utilize the "Mountaineer Ass Pinch." But it's a tricky maneuver and requires finesse to be done successfully.

I was up there on Saturday, Feb. 24 and some of the climbs are still hanging in there. It was still worthwhile to visit. The one we were on is hollowing out between ice and rock near the top. If some cold doesn't come along soon there won't be much left.

If you go take snow shoes. You'll need them. A lot of new snow has been coming down. There is a rain crust that I was punching through occasionally that made it really annoying without the slow shoes.

There is still a convenient snow bridge to make it easy to cross the creek, upstream a little from the climbs.