Stealth Training Suggestions

rmncwrtr

I just bought my hubby a two day Mt. Hood summit program gift certificate with TMG. I'm giving it to him as an anniversary gift in early April, but I want him to start training now without telling him the reason why. Any suggestions on what I can get him to do now to prepare? I figure I can always say I want him to workout with me since I've been trying to get in better shape, but I'm not sure what I need him to do for climbing. Running, walking, biking? Does he need cardio workouts, leg strengthening, a combo? I'm out of my element here so any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna assume that a "summit program" gift certificate means he'll be walking up a large mountain.

You want a regimen that combines aerobic conditioning and leg strength. Running hills or stairs is excellent. Mix things up with some cycling and even some swimming to keep him from getting suspicious. Learning how to hydrate and fuel your body to handle long periods of activity is important, so go on some long hikes, rides, runs, ski tours...

Here's a great link with great advice:

http://www.ncmountainguides.com/essaytraining.html

I just bought my hubby a...summit program gift certificate with TMG.

I need more information on this "summit gift certificate" phenomenon. There are a couple summits that've been eluding me lately...i'd like to cash in one.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: too funny!

I think that it would be relatively stealthy if you do the hiking in the gorge thing Cobra mentions, and have him carry the gear/water/clothes/flashlights and the other 3 essentials, like the chocolate....he'll get there.

Also, if you have dogs, start walking them up trails like Balch Creek (assuming you live near PDX) over off 26th and Upshur after work. Maybe join friends of Forest Park and pull some Ivy, that's pretty brutal too. Maybe you have some local trails near you.

Of course, have him carry a packpack with the rain gear, water, flashlights, 15 lb weight, etc etc.

Afterthought:

I have to say thought, that your gift is pretty committing. If it was me, I'd want to know in advance. Like just tell him now that you bought it as an aniversery gift so he can get fired up, and not just to train, but learn something about climbing before hand as well.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions and link. I appreciate them. I've been wanting to check out the Gorge so this will be a good excuse to finally do it.

Billcoe - he gets to pick the date of the two day program. That's why I bought him a gift certificate. I figure I'll toss in a stay at Timberline Lodge so he'll be right there. (one day is a class, the next day a climb so they leave early.) Steve at TMG said May, June, July would be a good time so hubby will still have time to get fired up and know what he needs to get ready for. I just want to start the training now rather than later. He knows about climbing already. He's a non-technical climber and been wanting to do Mt. Hood for years. This is my way of finally saying yes.

Get a stepper machine at home or a membership at the gym, the

least to do is 30 minutes a day, working up using a pack while

on the stepper. Do this at least 3 days a week up to 5 days a week, then hiking and climbing on the weekends.

There is no covert way to get him to train unless you tell him

you want to train for some type of hiking or climbing trip

together. You could train with him and both have fun, 30 minutes

a day at a hard pace will help you both get in shape, lose weight.

I just bought my hubby a two day Mt. Hood summit program gift certificate with TMG. I'm giving it to him as an anniversary gift in early April, but I want him to start training now without telling him the reason why. Any suggestions on what I can get him to do now to prepare? I figure I can always say I want him to workout with me since I've been trying to get in better shape, but I'm not sure what I need him to do for climbing. Running, walking, biking? Does he need cardio workouts, leg strengthening, a combo? I'm out of my element here so any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can tell him that exercising will improve his sexual stamina and make you an ever more satisfied wife.

What guy would say no?

Clavote, I think your suggestion would work better than Daniel's ;) My hubby's idea of squats is sitting on the couch and watching me do them.

So joining a gym would be a huge red flag to him as would buying a stairmaster since I started going to a Pilates studio in January. Too much, too soon. Does anyone know if running stadium stairs would work instead of the machine? I used to that when we lived in the Bay Area so it wouldn't be totally out of left field if I said I wanted to do them again and wanted his company. Though I'll have to come up with something creative to have him wear a pack while doing it. I can swing the hiking easily since the hiking forum I belong to recently added a cool field guide and I'd already told him I wanted to hit the trails.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to say thank you for all the stealth training suggestions. The no-longer-stealth training commences tomorrow. Our anniversary was yesterday and I gave him the gift certificate along with the book Freedom in the Hills. We were at Timberline and you should have seen the way he looked at the mountain once he knew he'd be climbing it. That was my present :) He's so excited and already talking about other climbs he wants to do after Hood.

• 2 weeks later...
You can motivate him to excercise by doing what my wife does and start calling by pet names like Pillsbury Dough Boy and Muffin Top.

sounds like we need to go climbing again Dan!

I would also recommend that you workout frequently, and obviously, in the coming months. Inspiration from others works wonders for most people I know.

edit: guess i should have read to the end of the thread.

Edited by kurthicks