Salomon Super Mountain 9's

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love em. My feet are a bit narrow and they fit great. For people with stumpy feet they don't fit all that well. As far as sizing they are what they say they are. A 10-1/2 fits my 10-1/2 foot great with a good thick pair of smartwools.

I have climbed everything from steep technical rock and ice to volcanoes and waterfalls in them. Real similair to the La Sportiva Nepal Tops.

I like mine too, have had them for three seasons, and the 10.5 also fits my 10.5 foot. Like all boots, however, I get heel blisters on steep trails (but not typically on snow; just dirt). It's not the boot's fault. I've climbed rock to about 5.6 in them, and lots of moderate snow and glacier and some easy alpine ice. The sole is delaminating a bit, but it's fixable. They're certainly worth a try, and I think they're still on sale at Mountain Gear for $279. You should also consider the Technica Alta TCY 2. I hear they're great, about half the weight of the Super Mountain 9s, and step-in crampon compatible.

Good luck,

John Sharp

Bellevue

I'll concur with the above--10 1/2s fit like 10 1/2s--but the fit is very narrow/low volume. If they fit, they're great technical boots. Note that they are extremely stiff--plastic boot rigid--which makes them great on steep ice, and good for mixed and rock edging, but potentially painful for long trail slogs and lousy for smearing. I now only use my plastic boots when it's way cold or for multi-day snow slogs (the leather will wet out), but use my old K2s (or put the Solomons in the pack) if long trail slogging is involved.

------------------

I love mine. Sizing is true (size 9 is a 9). I have had problems with the heal rubbing blisters and tape well every time still. They are very nice on mixed ground. I get a much better feel for the rock than with plastics. Plenty warm for winter climbing. Often too warm in the summer. As far as wetting out goes I Nikwaxed them shortly after buying and it is not a problem. I have AT gear and use my guide 9's.

They are great boots. The key is fit. You will hate em if they'er not right.

Smoker

I concur with the above that they are low-volume, and that they offer better feel on rock than plastic boots. If I did more multi-day or truly cold snow slogs, I'd get plastics. I've climbed Rainier the last three times in these boots and they are fine for a 1.5 day spring/summer slog. Like any boot in this genre, it's no fun to put them in the pack for rock climbing because they are big and heavy. But sometimes you have no choice.

I've had mine for a little over a season. And, again, my only beef is the heels. If I'm traveling light, then it isn't a problem, but if I have a heavy load, blisters can always be counted on.

Used them on rock quite a bit, worked great every time. The lugs have shown quite a bit of wear for one season, I suppose I put in quite a few miles on them, but they just don't seem to be as solid as vibram soles. Regardless, I have been very happy with this boot.

-t

I have always been somewhat confused by sizing. Typically I go by Euro standard because I find it much more accurate. However In this particular case my boots say 43.33 or US 9.5. Now I have always been 42 or 9 to 9-1/2. So in this case the euro was not accurate and the US size was. Go figure!

I like my boots for waterfall ice which is the only time I have worn them. I did get bad blisters the first time I did a long hike but now I do preventative maintainence: Dr. School blister treatment. I was just climbing in New Hampshire at 5 degrees with a wind chill factor and I didn't get cold. I also treated mine with the nikwax lotion and have not had a problem with wetting, but again I have not been on a two day glacier climb in summer yet.

The contra grip seems a little more "plastic" than vibram but seems ok nevertheless.

These boots are very stiff and I concur not great for smearing but awesome for edging. I feel I could stand on a dime plastered to a wall.

I have always maintained no one boot does it all, but this boot comes close. Just make sure it fits YOU! DPP

A couple posters mentioned Nikwaxing the boots. The instructions that came with mine indicated that adding waterproofing is a big no-no. I've been meaning to follow up with the company as this seems pretty weird, and the factory waterproofing on mine is pretty worn out. I'd be interested to know if anyone has any more info on this point.

I own the thermo Super mountain 9's of this boot and concur that they're best for technical climbing. Absolutely rigid platform plus a good leather upper foot mean's that something has to give on trail... and it's your heals for sure. Typical problem with a boot of this type. But well worth the trade off for a secure foot on technical terrain... no toe's fishing around in these bad boys!

Solomons actually tend to run a bit wider than LaSports, but are still about a medium width. Yah, and I would say that they're a bit higher volumne than the LaSports.

No prob on the NikWax, go for it! Don't use the Nubuc stuff, go for the Aqueos at Min, perferably the 'Wax.' The NuBuc is marketed only for those concerned about boot apperance. NikWax needed to meet customer demands with the NuBuc product.

I LOVE these boots, they rock! Much better lacing system than the LaSports!

Did I mention I sell boots???