Good Value in Shell Gloves - Mnt Hardwear Altitude?

Alex

I bought a pair of Mnt Hardwear Altitude gloves yesterday, they are 49$ retail. They are made, not with Gore-Tex, but with "Conduit" material. Although the gloves are not taped (the mitts are), thats nothing SeamGrip can't help.

Does anyone own or use the Condiut material or own the Altitide glove? How waterproof is waterproof on these gloves? How durable is the palm on these gloves? Any issues?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Mtn Hardware Jacket made from Conduit, it's pretty light weight so I'm not sure how durable gloves would be be but the jacket seems to be pretty waterproof. I've been ice climbing in it a load and not gotten that wet. I have other Mtn Hardware gear that has stood the test of time so I'd be optimistic that the gloves should wear OK.

As you've noticed it's also a tad cheaper than GoreTex. Probably because half the profits don't go into marketting to make you believe that the fabric is magic and will keep you dry no matter what - especially then playing Golf.

Ade

• 3 weeks later...

I am using these gloves this year as well. After one outing I had soaked hands within minutes, so I applied seam grip to most of the internal seams. Much better now, but they can still get wet. I have a pair of gloves made by Mont-bel (which no longer sells gear in the US) These are the best gloves I've ever owned, hands down! They have an internal gore-tex mitt that attaches to the outer glove with velcro, and also a nice, toasty fleece glove which also attaches with velcro. They have an internal baffel to keep snow out, a rubber coated kevlar palm, and a huge gauntlet (they come up to about mid-forearm). I never climb with them around here (too warm). These gloves have kept my hands warm in temps well below zero! Maybe there is still a way to get these, I am not sure.

i also own a pair of altitude gloves and agree with dane on the fact that these gloves love to soak up water. conduit is a great name for the proprietary gore-tex used in making them. they conduct the water right to your hand. the palm material, after two seasons of ice and a three week expedition to AK, has not held up very well. what i currently have are what look to be altitude gloves that were completely submerged in seam grip. but hey, i didn't pay much for them so i can't whine to much. my current top choice for ice, believe it or not, is a pair of boiled wool mitts. my hands are NEVER cold and the wool is so tight that,amazing as it sounds, my hands stay dry. because they are wool i am able to actually grip a chandelier here and there. the gloves stick to ice. while not having the dexterity of a glove, i still have never had a problem placing gear with them. climb high sells em for like 30 bucks.

alex- the material, conduit, that mt hardwear uses, is just as waterproof as gore-tex, but not quite as breathable. there are basically two types of waterproof breathables on the market today- membranes(gore-tex) and monolithics(conduit). the membranes repell water while still allowing vapor to escape by means of pores that are smaller than water can penetrate yet large enough for water vapor to escape. in a jacket, for example, the heat generated by your body creates an environment inside the jacket that is usually warmer than the air outside. therefore the air in the jacket has a higher pressure, forcing the vapor through the pores(breathing). if it is warmer outside(hot summer day) the jacket won't breathe,period.

mt hardwear conduit, marmot membrain(ironic, i know), helley hansen helly-tech, etc. are all monolithics. lowe alpine triple point ceramic is the only manufacturer that i know of that doesn't use either. in fact they all get the material from the same factory. the material is called dermazack. monolithics differ in the fact that instead of pores they use transfer "tubes". they also rely on the heat/pressure thing. the major difference between the two is that if it is warmer outside the jacket than inside, the higher pressure outside will actually cause water to move INTO the jacket, while a membrane(pores) will still keep you dry.

the fact is, if its hot enough outside to compete with body temp. who in their right mind would'nt welcome some raindrops falling on them. oh yeah, the other major difference- gore has, in tests, proven more durable than anything else on the market. so i wonder, do we really save money in the long run buying proprietaries? sorry for the novel

brad

ade, the reason that the gore would still keep out the water is because the pores are too small. if it were water vapor on the other hand, it would indeed get into the jacket. i have yet to encounter "steam" on any of my outings.

Once again...You've got to have a quiver and believe me, I do! Personally, I don't feel I need breathabilty for my hands so I don't think it's worth it to dork out $100 plus for goretex or like. I've looked at BD, MT. H and OR "ice" gloves and for one reason or other I'd fail them all if I were a product tester! I started checking out snowboarding gloves for 1/2 price and my DA Kines work great for $45.00!! Personally I'll take a genuine leather palm over synthetic any day. I do keep them beeswaxed regularly. You must be sure that the palm material wraps around the finger tips completely or they are toast in a season. I do have one pair that I have had for over 10 years and still ALWAYS carry as back up. They are wool mittens with a leather palm sewed on. If I ever find another pair, I'll buy ten!! They are the best! I also have blush.gifrange rubber fishing gloves with yellow fluff liner, Reauch world cup ski gloves (leather) with pads on the fingers, Gordini "heat trap" with leather palms/fingers, Marmot "ultimate" ski gloves also all leather palms/fingers. Usually the outside air temperature dictates which gloves I choose.

PS. I'm not rich, I just have been climbing a long time and keep searching for the ultimate glove. So far the wool mittens win! DPP

DPP, I agree that Da Kines are great. I have some mitts and love them. I used them skiiing, snowshoeing and merely hiking. Not the exact setup but agree I paid a similar price and they perform well. However mine have dookie for knuckle pro.

It's amazing how once in a while inexpensive gear is ok and comes outta the closet so.

-Ray

I've been loving the fishing gloves with the yellow fluff liner lately. The dexterity over mits and slipperty fingered gloves is awesome. They are warm enough for most conditions around here and best of all, they are totally dry.

Once they do get wet from sweat though, it's a good day before they'll dry out inverted. But they do provide some knuckle pro, and the sticky rubber is awesome. $13 is a nice price too.

Hey, David. I also quickly realized that simple wool stuff is great!

There are still some wool GLOVES with a leather palm left in an outdoor shop on the corner of Pontius and Republican, about 4 block north and 1 block west of REI. Haven't seen mittens though. They also have $22 waders.

SmartWool leather/wool glove at Nelson's shoop has also been very good so far - $70.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the overall opinion for OR Expedition shells? I just got these for basic Glacier Travel and maybe some tech stuff, but I'm such a rookie that it might be awhile till I join some folks out at Lilloet. I had been eyeing them on Rei-Outlet for $49 from $79, then they had them the other day for $29 so I picked up a pair for myself and my wife. Any bad experiences out there? What kind of liners should I be looking for? Just fleece or what? Any feedback is most appreciated.

I've got the OR Baker Mitts and I love them. I bought these after I lost one of my Modular Mitts. Mine have the single fleece liner and I rarely take them out. Depending on the temperature I'll wear them with a variety of different weight fingered liner gloves, this way when you deglove your hands still stay warm but have close to the same dexterity of bare hands. The palms on mine have held up incredibly well. The kiddie leashes are cool to for skiiing, well actually anything, because you don't drop or have to hold your gloves. The waterproofness is excellent and the breathability is fine (I sweat profusely). These are a great all-around glove. I’m looking for some fingered gloves too though, and “was” going to buy the Altitudes, but I guess not.