Red Rocks First Timer...

Blake

The Red Rock Rendezvous is from March 23rd through March 25th. If you're not interested in the instructional elements of the climber's festival, then you should still sign up for the parties and slide shows at night. It's pretty fun.

http://www.mountaingear.com/rr07/index.aspx

The hot springs on the Nevada side of the river are closed due to construction. The hot springs on the Arizona side aren't too hard to find. Cross the dam. Drive to the first trailhead on the righthand side of the road (10 to 15 min from dam). Hike the trail for about four miles. Once you reach the river look for a stream coming out of the rocks. Follow the stream back uphill into a little slot canyon. You'll note that the water in the creek will get warmer and warmer. Eventually you'll find the hot springs with the inevitable old fat naked guy who seems to live at every hot spring in america.

Jason

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arizona hot springs might still be out of commision after some flash flooding in the last few months. They are super cool, but it sucks to hike into them and find them non existant- ask someone before you head down there. Most of the classic routes people have mentioned are pretty good. If you are climbing one of them on a weekend, expect a crowd-you just kind of have to grin and bear it. The weather is perfect right now-as usual.

The Red Rock Rendezvous is from March 23rd through March 25th. If you're not interested in the instructional elements of the climber's festival, then you should still sign up for the parties and slide shows at night. It's pretty fun.

http://www.mountaingear.com/rr07/index.aspx

The hot springs on the Nevada side of the river are closed due to construction. The hot springs on the Arizona side aren't too hard to find. Cross the dam. Drive to the first trailhead on the righthand side of the road (10 to 15 min from dam). Hike the trail for about four miles. Once you reach the river look for a stream coming out of the rocks. Follow the stream back uphill into a little slot canyon. You'll note that the water in the creek will get warmer and warmer. Eventually you'll find the hot springs with the inevitable old fat naked guy who seems to live at every hot spring in america.

Jason

I was in RR last year for this (accidentally). I almost drove to J-Tree when I found out about it. Turns out, the canyons were empty on the Sat/Sun (everybody at the events?) and then were packed on the Friday/Monday (folks come for the festival, stay an extra day or so to climb?). Just FYI. I didn't go to any of the festival events.

Just got back...MisterE was down with the Ebola infection, but the rest of us were climbing....and gambling...and dodging the bagmen in the lot at the Gold Spike.

Heads up skateboarders: The closed hotel next to gold spike has an empty, totally dry, rounded bottom, concrete pool accessible through a big hole in the fence from the corner Gold Spike parking lot that would provide a nice sesh.

Black Orpheus is overstarred. It's ok, but way overhyped IMO. You can't go wrong with any of the Frogland, Tunnel Vision, Crimson Crysalis, etc already mentioned. Good moderates with fun climbing and good pro.

Hot dietary tip: Deep fried twinkies and deep fried oreos along with yard-o-daiquiris on the Fremont Experience.

Everyone bitches about Crimson Chrysalis but it is a ton of fun. Way more bolts than you would expect. Pretty disturbing actually how the bolts veer away from the crack. That crack looks wide but you don't need to take nearly the big gear you think you do. The back to back to back hanging belays suck. Be sure to be the first ones on there. Don't let the ropes get caught. Enjoy.

hey Blake, I will be down there with a group of great people from March 22 - about the 28th. We will be helping with the MtGear event, then staying to climb. If you need partners, I can supply some for you on a daily basis. Let me know when it gets closer, and I will tell you how to find us if you are interested.

I highly recommend the Mgear event, completely enjoyed it last year.

Eric