Grivel Rambo 2 vs. Axar

dbb

Rambo vs. Axar

What do people think about these two tools?

I like the clearance shaft on the Axar, but does it protect the knuckles enough an give a comfortable grip?

I really like the picks on the Rambos but the double bend in the shaft looks like it wont be as nice to hold on to as a typical "bent" shaft (i.e. pulsar-ish).

Any comments?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, out of those two tools I would definitely go with the Rambo's. Charlet Moser tools are heavy, and the shaft on the Ralmbo's is thinner, making it easier on your forearms. I don't know if you have ruled them for some reason, but I would definitely reccommend BD tools (shrikes for alpine, or cobras for pure ice routes).

That is a good point about the shafts, thanks. Though the Rambo is actually heavier at 0.72 KG to the Axar's 0.7 KG. smile.gif

I'm also looking to upgrade out of BD tools because their picks have gone to garbage. The new "Cobra" pick is just a stinger pick with a longer-thicker penetrating surface.

(thus shattering more and being harder to remove when set really well.)Aparently they increased the size there to obtain CE cert. for sale in Europe.

i have bd b/p and had to replace my old picks w/ the new cobra ones. i am impressed w/ the new cobra picks. it doesn't shatter ice like you may think. i found good techinque cleans tools easily and does not shatter the ice.

remember tap...tap...scratch..

replacing tools because of picks!? wowsers!!!!!!!!!

just remeber to get the bd lock down leashes as everything else seems contrived and difficult to remove your to place pro.

i personally like a bigger shaft(!) as i find myself overgripping on the little guys and pumping out faster.

• 1 month later...

I don't agree with DBB about BD picks. I have never broken one (9 years using BD picks). I use the stinger now and it is amazing, it hardly dents when hitting rock and works great with little modification (most picks need to be filed down because they stick too well). There has been some problems with the Aremet pick, but they are over-priced anyway and the stinger is strong enough. Unless you do a lot of mixed climbing and you're jamming your pick in cracks all day, you should hardly ever break a pick, if you do it probably means it was being abused unnecessarily (from what I have experienced).

[This message has been edited by dane (edited 02-09-2001).]

Dane, what problems have you heard about the BD aermet picks? I've got one on my old BPs that I was going to move to my new CFBPs but may reconsider.

Re DBB's comment, I was eyeballing cobra and stinger picks just last night and diameter-wise they looked the same to me. the tip profile of one cobra pick was actually smaller than the stinger; another was the same.

BTW, rei-outlet.com has stinger picks for about $19 right now--I just bought a few(I've got a pile of BD tools and have been stocking up on picks).

I heard some of the Aremet picks were recalled, I would check with BD. I am not too worried about the picks changing, since all of the current picks fit all models from x-15's to Cobras. I am sure it will change some day. I ordered two picks from BD today for $23 a piece, I can't believe they were $19 at REI, that's damn cheap!

I agree with J Fisher. I was sceptical of Cobra picks, because I too had heard that they were thicker. However, after comparing them side by side, it seams to me like Stinger picks and Cobra picks are exacly alike, except that Cobra picks are better for hooking.

Ive been climbing with Rambo ice tools for several years with evolution picks and they work really well.they have smaller diameter shafts than most tools and are lighter than most. A friend let me try his quasar tools last year before they were discontinued. The axars are supposed to be fashioned after them . the one thing I liked about double bent shafts are the way they handle cauliflower ice, they dont lever out like my Rambos on bulges but they dont work very good on low angle ice they are hard to swing correctly. I plan on purchasing a set of axars for waterfall ice climbing but for alpine stuff I'll stick with my Rambos.

Texplorer,

Steep Ice:

BD BP's, BD CFBP's, Grivel MAchine (but they vibrate like a mofro), CM Quasars but Wade Meyer says they are discountined

Alpine routes: the Black Diamond CFBP's are the best(light) but unfortunalty they were costing BD to much to make and they discontiuned them frown.gif now i would say that the grivel Geronimos(sp) the BD Shrikes or the BD BP's(these tools do weigh alittle more than the others) would be the best for Alpine routes

Aidan

Not one of the 2 mentioned but not to be overlooked if you are looking for a tool.

My friend recently purchased Dmm Flys and really likes them (I am jealous). You can still bash the knuckles on steeper 4-5 ice. However the pick seems to be solid. The parts between the pick and hammer on top is ergonomic for alpining. The grip is great and rubberized only where you need it and they are extremely light. Not too specialized for Waterfalls is what I like.. Some tools I find do not perform as well on lower angle ice like Grivel Top Machine and Quarks and other radically bent shafts... However that might be what you want.

The pick also releases easier than most if you overdrive it. The price cannot be matched for the value you get in my opinion.

-Ray