Rules of Engagement

selkirk

10 Commandments for Beginning Philosophers

(Bertrand Russel I think?)

1) Do not feel certain of anything.

2) do not thing it worthwhile to produce believe by concealing evidence, for hte evidence will surely come to light.

3) Never try to discourage thinking for you are sure to succeed

4) When met with oppositiong, even if it should be from your husband, your children, the president, endeavor to overcome it by argument and not by authority, for a victory dependant on authority is unreal and illusory.

5) Have no respect for the authority of others, for there are always contrary authorities to be found.

6) Do nout use power to spuress opinions you htink are pernicious, for if you do, the opinions will supress you.

7) Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.

8) Find more plesure in intelligent dissents than in passive agreements, for if you value intelligence as you should, the former implies a deeper agreement than the latter.

9) Be scrupulously truthful, even when truth is inconvienent, for it is more inconvenient when you try to conceal it.

10) Do not feel envious of the happiness of those who live in a fool's paradise, for only a fool will think that it is happiness!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4) When met with opposition, even if it should be from your husband, your children, the president, endeavor to overcome it by argument and not by authority, for a victory dependant on authority is unreal and illusory.

The guy (if indeed a "guy") never raised children, obviously. When the kids are young they often don't possess the mental capacity to understand "why". Sometimes there isn't time for an argument and can be a matter of their own safety that they obey in a timely fashion without argument.

7) Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.

I like that one. It ties in to "what was once irrational, becomes rational".

8) Find more plesure in intelligent dissents than in passive agreements, for if you value intelligence as you should, the former implies a deeper agreement than the latter.
Kevbone. Read and understand.

Deconstructing the 10 Commandments for Posting with Seahawks and Kevbone:

1) Do not feel certain of anything.

Well with these two, inanity is always certain. What now?

2) do not thing it worthwhile to produce believe by concealing evidence, for hte evidence will surely come to light.

Yes. Seahawks will cut and paste someone's 100000 word PhD essay proving God exists, and kevbone, sooner or later, will give us the Rhino picture.

3) Never try to discourage thinking for you are sure to succeed

Simply responding to either of them ensures this reality.

4) When met with oppositiong, even if it should be from your husband, your children, the president, endeavor to overcome it by argument and not by authority, for a victory dependant on authority is unreal and illusory.

But if I told Seahawks I was God, maybe he would believe me.

5) Have no respect for the authority of others, for there are always contrary authorities to be found.

Well Minx is a moderator. True.

6) Do nout use power to spuress opinions you htink are pernicious, for if you do, the opinions will supress you.

That's called being Above the Law. I know all about that.

Seahawks still thinks the world is flat, but somehow I don't think that will ever be accepted. And Kevbone's entire character is doomed to this fate.

I guess we should ignore them, then?

9) Be scrupulously truthful, even when truth is inconvienent, for it is more inconvenient when you try to conceal it.

What about people who find common sense inconvenient?

10) Do not feel envious of the happiness of those who live in a fool's paradise, for only a fool will think that it is happiness!

No problem there.

:ass::wave:

yes you will also find that alpinek, offwhite, et. al can also boss you around but...

don't forget, i am god so there is no higher authority.

Nauh, dis fuhnney. Befo you tellin us you'z 'n Atheis', 'n nauh you tellin' us you da Lowahd. Don' you b'lieve in yown self? Is you sum kinna Exstenchlis' o sumthin', o do you jis gotta self assteem probl'm?

Hey Hey Hey, this sounds like Fat Albert.

Nauh, dis fuhnney. Befo you tellin us you'z 'n Atheis', 'n nauh you tellin' us you da Lowahd. Don' you b'lieve in yown self? Is you sum kinna Exstenchlis' o sumthin', o do you jis gotta self assteem probl'm?

Nauh, hol' on dey, Route66 o' whutevuh yo av'tah iz. I LAHK me sum lumps in mah Cream-o-wheat.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Nauh, hol' on dey, Route66 o' whutevuh yo av'tah iz. I LAHK me sum lumps in mah Cream-o-wheat.

I prefer Wheaties

That reminds me of a long time ago (late 80's?) when I actually saw this very poster on the wall of a restaurant in the Owens Valley:

180px-Cream_of_Wheat_advertisement.jpg

:tdown:

yes you will also find that alpinek, offwhite, et. al can also boss you around but...

It has been a while since I was the mean nasty mod guy, but it can be a fun activity. :eveeel: