Cascade River Road

colt45

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I drove up the road on March 31st. I was able to drive past the switch backs where tou would access the South Cascade Galcier, I beliebe this is the South Fork of the Cascade River. I turned around where some locals were cutting apart a tree that was across the road. To this point there was not snow. this was not far from Eldorado Creek. The tree should be gone now!

I turned around where some locals were cutting apart a tree that was across the road. To this point there was not snow. this was not far from Eldorado Creek. The tree should be gone now!

Once upon a time I awoke in Boston Basin to this:

Boston_Basin_Rain2.jpg

Thinking hard about a ham and cheese omelette in a dry restaurant booth in Marblemount I splashed out and drove all of about two miles before I encountered this:

Cascade_Road_2.jpg

It was well into afternoon before these guys showed up with saws. So much for breakfast.

As of yesterday, the road was blocked by trees at about mile 18.5, with a couple more downed trees across the road before the gate at mile 20.

After mile 20, the road is significantly washed out in a couple places, but it's easy enough to get across the wash-outs on foot.

anyone been up the side road that goes to the Snowking trailhead? any conditions update on this?

I was just talking to a colleague yesterday who mentioned he was able to get up most of the way to the trail head but there was some blow down blocking access all the way. He said the snow line was surprisingly high, around 3,000 feet.

Is this blowdown blocking to where you usually drive to and park or is it afterwards. You've had to hike the road for around a mile before you get to the trailhead for a few years now.

I have one of Shurlock's winter photos of Snowking as my desktop. I wish I had tried to ski it when I still lived out there.

• 1 month later...