Response of Law Enforcement?

high_on_rock

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote=grandpa

Well, it's not an issue of memory, I saw (and recalled) your reply that you folks do have concealed weapons laws. However, in that case, I believe that the thieves are banking on the fact that they think that they'll not be confronted, especially by anyone with a weapon, that's why the crime rate (in this particular area anyway) hasn't dropped.

So I guess my question would then be, what IS the answer (in your view)?

I really would like to take my grandkids out hiking (when they're old enough, soon) without having to concern myself with the likelyhood of encountering lots of low-lifes somewhere in the parking areas, having my car broken into, having to rent a car with extra insurance or whatever.

What do you folks (who live here) think the answer is?

grandpa...

Firstly, theives can't bank on the fact they won't be confronted--mostly because that is not a fact. They are hoping they won't be, but there is no assurance that they will not be.

And if you don't take your kids outside b/c you think a car might get broken into, what are you teaching your kids? Don't go outside b/c something bad might happen?

The answer in my view is that I usually don't leave valuable shit in my vehicle. Sometimes I do. I have had stuff stolen before. It is a bummer, but it sure doesn't control what I do. I am still going to hike, camp, climb, and enjoy my life.

I think hanging around the bushes outside your local trailhead parking lot with a gun sounds like a well-thought out and relatively simple solution to a seemingly intractable problem. It's common knowledge that car burglars fear nothing more than attack from armed hikers hiding in the bushes.

Sure, you might be huddled there some weeks before a perp attempts to break into a car, and it probably won't be your car, but shooting them would certainly solve their burglary addiction problem. A helpful note such as "Sorry about the bullet hole and blood spattered on your vehicle, if I could leave my name and number I would, but, under the circumstances, I'm sure you'll understand" might serve well in this instance.

Your hike, then, would now have a clear purpose: body disposal. As anyone whose ever attempted to move a lifeless body knows, this can be an excellent work out.

The possibility of law enforcement involvement might be an issue, particularly because you can hear gunshots from many miles away, and most hikers carry cell phones, but that just adds to the excitement. Also, the perp will likely as not be a straight A high school student with a loving, prosperous family, so legal action might also complicate things, in addition to a bit of negative publicity for the overall strategy, but why think defeat out of the starting gayte? These complications shouldn't prevent thousands of hikers from adopting this practical way of turning the tide.

After all, if more people shot other people in trailhead parking lots, that would certainly increase law enforcement vigilance at those sites, and probably decrease breakins by decreasing the hiking community overall. And who knows? Perps might start carrying guns as well, which would make things even more spicy.

Why do folks feel the need to make a simple, obvious solution so complicated? Keep it simple, stupid!

Edited by tvashtarkatena

ClimbingPanther...I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm completely baffled every time I get out of my car at the crag and look into the back seat of the car next to me and it's full of gear!

I almost left a note on a car once..."Knock, knock...you're lucky if your shit is still here when you get back!"

If you meet your climbnig partner at the TR and you both brought your ropes and racks...you're gonna have to carry it all with you to the rock, don't leave it behind.

I think hanging around the bushes outside your local trailhead parking lot with a gun sounds like a well-thought out and relatively simple solution to a seemingly intractable problem. It's common knowledge that car burglars fear nothing more than attack from armed hikers hiding in the bushes.

Sure, you might be huddled there some weeks before a perp attempts to break into a car, and it probably won't be your car, but shooting them would certainly solve their burglary addiction problem. A helpful note such as "Sorry about the bullet hole and blood spattered on your vehicle, if I could leave my name and number I would, but, under the circumstances, I'm sure you'll understand" might serve well in this instance.

Your hike, then, would now have a clear purpose: body disposal. As anyone whose ever attempted to move a lifeless body knows, this can be an excellent work out.

The possibility of law enforcement involvement might be an issue, particularly because you can hear gunshots from many miles away, and most hikers carry cell phones, but that just adds to the excitement. Also, the perp will likely as not be a straight A high school student with a loving, prosperous family, so legal action might also complicate things, in addition to a bit of negative publicity for the overall strategy, but why think defeat out of the starting gait? These complications shouldn't prevent thousands of hikers from adopting this practical way of turning the tide.

After all, if more people shot other people in trailhead parking lots, that would certainly increase law enforcement vigilance at those sites, and probably decrease breakins by decreasing the hiking community overall. And who knows? Perps might start carrying guns as well, which would make things even more spicy.

Why do folks feel the need to make a simple, obvious solution so complicated. Keep it simple, stupid!

Is the "starting gait" that slow shuffle we old farts use when just heading out on the hike (before our athritis meds kick in)?

Looking for a little clarification here. Otherwise, this sounds like a well thought out plan.