Stolen gear recovered...file that police report!

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, tune up the landlord. This is all clearly his fault !!

Speaking from a landlord's perspective, it is clearly his fault...if, in fact, there is a landlord. Landlords have a responsibility towards their community (both legally and morally) to a) choose good tenants, b) keep their properties up, c) remove bad tenants and d) not allow their properties to become safe havens for criminal activity.

This landlord, if there is one, has done none of the above.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Agreed, tvash. It is totally within the landlord's control to not support known criminal activity upon or within his properties.

dtw: Can you say "aiding and abetting" a criminal?? Although I'm a staunch supporter of low-litigation and personal responsibility, I have to say that you're off the mark on this one.

I disagree. If:

"Unfortunately, the cops were unable to pin any of the shitbags in the household, all of whom had records, with this particular burglary. "

then how is this the landlord or owner's responsibility?

Yes, if they are conducting illegal activity on the property they can (and should) be evicted. But are you suggesting that the landlord evict them based on a random person who calls and claims that the stuff they bought at a yard sale might be stolen??? Ever try to evict someone? Landlord/Tennant laws are pretty heavily weighted in favor of Tenants.

Failure for a landlord to evict a tenant based on an alleged crime when the police are unable to bring charges = aiding and abetting? hmmm.. Maybe you just mean the landlord should conduct an independent investigation, make a citizen's arrest and hold the shitbags as prisoners in locked cell in the rental for 3-5 years?

Investigating and prosecuting crime is the job of the police department and justice system. (While vigilante justice is the job of the victim and friends.)

I'd divvy up the blame about: 90% to the shitbags, 10% to the cops and the system that is impotent to do anything about them. IF they been caught and convicted, I'd find some responsibility for the landlord to give them the boot (at which point they will just relocate to a new shitbaghouse somewhere else)...

Frustration with the shitbags and the impotent system isn't a good reason to spread the blame the landlord, or the shitbag's mom, or the gear owner who left his stuff where it could be stolen, or, or...

But, good the goods got recovered and good karma to Tvash for getting them to the owner. Now hopefully someone will give the shitbag the nighttime-driveway-whoop-ass they so richly deserve.

Edited by dtw

If it were my gear, and it was recovered in the way listed above and the lead person at Seattle PD wasn't too interested in pursuing this, then I would ask to speak to his/her supervisor. Next I would call Norm Maeling's office, as the King County Prosecutor's Office takes things like this seriously.

All Seattle PD does is send info to the prosecutor's office, they are the ones who decide whether or not to file charges, not Seattle PD.

After I made the phone calls, then I would write a letter to Norm and the chief of police. You'll get the ball rolling, just stick with it.

I disagree. If:

"Unfortunately, the cops were unable to pin any of the shitbags in the household, all of whom had records, with this particular burglary. "

then how is this the landlord or owner's responsibility?

Guess you had to be there. You weren't.

Drive by the place sometime and let me know how responsible you think the landlord is afterwards.