Cats in the hospital

carolyn

It is an odd quirk of human character that we will spend so much time and money taking care of an ornery little parasite that spends all day sleeping on top of our drycleaning and then goes outside to dig up the new flowers, but damn if we don't complain any time our little darling doesn't come around for his regular petting!

I'm glad the little beast is doing better.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to let you all know that Latte is holding strong.

A few weeks ago I had to unexpectedly uproot her from her home and put her and myself in a better environment temporarily, until we could get into a permanent place (not something to get into here). She had quite the adventure, as she was exposed to living with another cat in an unfamiliar environment. She attempted to take over immediately by marking the litter boxes and eating the resident cat's food, as well as lounging everywhere and anywhere.

The new place has a resident cat as well. She stays upstairs most of the time. Latte is so skinny that she fit right through the baby gate to go upstairs, explore, and fight. She then decided she was feeling well enough to jump the gate. Now we have a screen door seperating the upstairs and downstairs. I feel bad for the other cat, because it is apparent that I have raised a spoiled cat who believes every bit of space she can get herself into belongs to her. Yet, it is good to see her feeling well enough to care and defend herself.

Hopefully someday they will get along - or at least tolerate each other. In general, she is obviously old and creaky, but doing really well - especially under recent circumstances.

• 4 weeks later...

My cat hates me. :mad:

There are no mice in the new place - at least yet. So she has nothing to sit and stare at for hours.

The other cat tried to jump through the screen door we put up seperating the up/downstairs as Latte came in from the back porch weeks ago.

Now she wont leave my room and hides in the closet all the time.

Her latest lab tests showed everything was completely normal (which is an absolute miracle!!!!). I think her bones are hurting her. She often runs from me when I come toward her because she thinks Im going to poke her, even though Im only giving her sub-q's 1-2xs a week.

She is eating well and other bodily functions are performing fine.

I hope she comes around. It sucks to put so much into a being only to be shat apon. :(

Gaurantee she will be up at 6:30 am laying on top of me. *sigh*

oh- and I will post new photos as soon as she comes out of the damn closet!

Edited by carolyn

Hi Carolyn and Latte!

Nice to hear that her "vitals" are normal. Sux about the rodentia deprivation tho...

Don't feel bad about being shat upon by a cat. After all, you shoulda known about that part going in. :smirk:

Let's see those pics!

Nothing better than a kitty love fest. I know you're taking good care of her, but take care of you, too. Hugs.

It's important to have a loving owner, that's for sure. :tup:

rooster1.jpg

That man is most likely kissing that bird because it just won him a pile of dough in a cock fight. :battlecage:

He's getting a taste-preview for dinner. Mmmm roasted chicken!

• 4 weeks later...

Kitty is still hanging in there.

She has had a rough start in the new place. A few weeks ago I was back to spoon feeding her babyfood and prepared for it to get worse. A couple days of TLC and she was almost back to normal. Her kidney functioning has declined a bit, but not too bad. Her latest thing is to wake me at the crack of dawn yowling, playing, eating and more yowling. She is actually starting to wake my roommate up with her shinanigans!

Funny :pagetop: story:

Latte and I were sitting on the back porch. She was sticking her nose out the fence when suddenly a :pagetop: crawled its way up and decided to look her in the face. I screamed bloody murder :o and the damn thing continued up the fence into my plants. I screamed louder and it went alright....it went straight into the house!:eek: Latte causually walked briskly behind the :pagetop: and stopped once it jumped onto the kitchen table. The two had a stare-off for what felt like forever, but likely only lasted less than ten seconds. Thankfully the :pagetop: ran right back outside. Latte looked at me, a bit confused and possibly disappointed, then walked to her food dish and started eating dinner. :grin:

• 1 month later...

Ahhh, time for another update!

I now call Latte my little yo-yo. She has many VERY good days, then a handful of bad days that convince me she is at the end of her rope. Yet, she keeps chuggin' along.

She requires the sub-q fluids usually every other day. She has been eating some prescription food that seems to help her tummy feel better. In fact, I wouldnt be suprised if she has gained a little weight. Her howling at night has subsided a bit, so I am finally getting some sleep. She likes to spend time sitting at the bottom of the stairs with her nose against the screen door seperating her and the other cat. Yet, when the other cat comes down, she startes dry-heaving and often pukes. Go figure!

The drug company has stopped paying for the portion of her tx despite the promise to pay until this is resolved (in this case death). Needless to say, since I am already putting a large chunk of each paycheck into past bills for her, fluids, and food I am no longer taking her into the vet for check-ups. Though at times I would like to know what the tests say about her health, I also know that she is old, sick, yet resilient. She will stick around as long as she likes. Until then I will do everything I can to make her comfortable and enjoy her kitty life. im accepting that everything I can do might not be as good as someone else with lots of money. She has had a great life and will continue to do so until the end. I think she knows this.

Climbing and other fun life activities have suffered greatly because of the attention and care she needs to feel as good as she can. Somedays I feel so confined I might burst! I used to dream about week and month-long trips. Now my heart aches for an overnight. Im grateful when I can get out for a full day.

One thing that helps is knowing that when she does pass, I will be free of all responsibility. No one thing will be tying me here to MN anymore. I can then go whereever I want. I am currently planning a long road trip and relocation. It wouldnt happen any sooner than next summer, but anytime after that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, hey there!

Ya we are still around, believe it or not.

This taking care of her is a lot more work than I would have ever thought! She is worth it though. There will be plenty of time for me to climb and do all the other fun things I enjoy when she is gone.

Generally, she is doing well. She goes in spurts of eating well, then goes on a strict diet. Occassionally she has a few days in a row of not eating, but bounces back just as I start thinking we are at the end. Im really working on not getting too upset when she doesnt eat and letting it be what it is. Its pretty tough, though.

She is playing quite a bit. I often find her in the bathtub chasing her tail or batting one of her toys around. Just the other day she started running laps around two joining rooms. She gets stoned numerous times a day on her cat nip, plays with her string, follows me around the house, and talks excessively. She is actually sitting on the couch with me again these days - something she hasnt done since we moved to the new place 7 months ago.

Im giving her fluids everyday or e/o day, depending on how she is feeling. Unfortunately she wont eat when I am not home, so I have to make a point to be home every 8hrs or so. Really puts a damper on getting out and doing fun stuff these days. My friends think Im crazy and should put her down, but as soon as they see her they find she appears to be a pretty normal cat. Kurt can attest to that!

Ive decided not to take her into the vet for anymore tests or procedures, unless it appears to be something easily cureable. None of her lab results would really change how I take care of her. Its too stressful for her and unfair at this point,just to "kill my curiosity". I will know when she is crashing again, and I will then know it is her time.

We are probably going to drive each other crazy this winter, as I am extremely under-employed at the moment. Im waiting to be called every day for substitute work. Im also trying to get a resume out by the end of the week to what may be a dream job - and the only thing that would keep me here in MN once Latte passes. Im not counting on it, but its worth a shot.

So there ya have it. Pretty tired, but no regrets. The only regret I would have is if I didnt spend this time with her.

Thanks for asking!

Happy Brithday, carolyn, and thanks for the Latte Update. You see now what I was talking about with you many months ago... you will never regret this time with Latte, no matter how much climbing you have to give up. She has a wonderful mommy.

I got your email last week. I'll get a *real* message out to you soon.