Climbing goggles

daylward

I want some goggles for sport climbing. Mostly 'cause I think they'd look cool.

Kidding.

Seriously, I'm looking for some goggles to use for ice/mixed/winter/high wind climbing. I have ski goggles, which I've used, but the bummer about them (at least the ones I've used) is they fog up when you're not moving so fast. I suspect the main reason they fog up is the vent on the bottom that funnels your moist breath right up into them, especially if your coat is zipped up all the way.

So, I went searching on the net for some better goggles. I came across the Oakley "A Frame". Appears to be a beautiful design, with "air intakes" on the bottom of the front (just above your cheekbones), in addition to vents on the top of the lense. That way I could tape up the foam on the very bottom but still have circulation from bottom to top.

Drawback: cost. $85! Plus another $30 for clear lenses (which are still 100% UVA and UVB proof).

I found some customer reviews of the A Frame. 2/3 of the maybe 35 reviewers said "hands down the best goggle on the market", "totally 100% worth the price", "never fog up, just amazing", etc. 1/3 of the people said "fogs up all the time", "gets water between the lenses in wet conditions", "If water gets on the inside of the lense, it permanently distorts the lense", and so on.

Any experience with these? Who is telling the truth and who is lying? For me, 2 unique factors would convince me to shell out for these goggles: superior circulation/anti-fog, and clear lenses that protect from UV (uncommon in clear goggle lenses).

I'd also like to hear from anyone who has used goggles while climbing (successfully or otherwise), and any hints about preventing fogging. Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan, I use a pair of Smiths with a clear lens. I initially bought them because they were the only thing REI had with a clear lens and I was in a hurry, but have since grown to like them. Not sure what model, but it was nothing fancy, about 50$. I wear them over glasses, and at belays the glasses fog up, but not the goggle, but once I get climbing again, everything is fine. Don't really need to see much at a belay anyway smile.gif I've used them a few times in the Cascades and Banff.

I think Carrera makes really nice goggles that are well vented and go over glasses as well, but I have not been actively looking for a replacement for the Smiths...

The only thing I have found that cuts down on fogging is you must absolutely resist wiping the inside of the lens, or taking the goggle off and wearing them on your arm/forehead. Once they go on, they need to say on to perform well. This pisses me off because I find the nosepiece on the Smiths (all goggles really) restricts my breathing through my nose, and am very prone to taking the goggles off my face at a rest stop, but I am learning to deal.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited 10-25-2000).]

This doesn't specifically address your needs but I have taken to wearing an old pair of racketball goggles as eye protection when ice climbing. They fit very loosely so they never fog up, unlike the clear goggles I used to wear (but this makes them useless for wind protection).

The Grivel Cap is an ice climbing helmet with a full face guard. Looks a bit like a motorbike helmet. I'm not really sure it's what you're after as it doesn't sit that close to your face. Here's a picture of it:

cap.jpg

Taken from http://www.climbhigh.com/new/grivel_winter_cap.html

[This message has been edited by Ade (edited 11-06-2000).]

• 3 weeks later...