Rants and Raves

snowleopard_x

Just trying to get the ball rolling here. A list of some of the gear I cherish, and some that I wouldn't buy again, even on a supersale.

Love:

Sporthill's 3SP pants and 3SP tops - Amazing fabric, great prices (www.sporthill.com).

BD Express Ice Screws - Once you use these, there is no going back. Honorable mention to Smiley's old screws with the coffee grinder.

Sony PC100 Camcorder - Amazing toy; digital video with stunning picture quality. Also takes megapixel stills. A scant 1 pound and fits in any large pocket.

Disposable cameras - Can be taken on any climb, and if you drop it off El Cap, hey.

Malden Mills - For the wonderful fabrics they make (all things Polartec) and being such an ethical company. Powerstretch is my favorite fabric of theirs.

Shoeller Dryskin Extreme, and Skifans - Amazingly durable, useful fabric. A one piece does all barrier to the extremes. Seems to work in all conditions except rain, and when heavy thermal is needed under a shell.

GPS - Your tax dollars at work!

Hate:

What's happened to The North Face.

2-ply Gore-Tex. Perfect for a rainy walk from the car to the mall.

Core-Vents. It's pit zips or nothing, IMO.

Full jacket or pants Winstopper. Works good as a vest, or hat, or especially gloves though.

USFS Logging policies and NW Trail Pass program.

GW Bush's Public Lands proposals (more logging, drilling in Alaska, etc.)

Magnesium for firestarter. The guy that sold this idea must still be laughing.

What Quokka did to MountainZone.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like snowleopards picks, here’s some of my love/hates:

Love:

Marmot DriClimb Windshirt: This is the most incredible piece of clothing I have ever owned.

KAVU: Coolest company in the Northwest.

Slide Film: Print film is getting better, but you can’t beat the color saturation of slide.

North Face outlet in Bend, OR.: Ok, I’m not huge fan of TNF gear, but the prices in this store is are ridiculously low.

Hates:

Trail Fees: Don’t we pay this thing called taxes?

Disposable Cameras: I have to disagree with snowleopard on this one. They work some of the time, but that’s the problem.

Lexus & BMW SUV’s: Enough said.

MountainZone: I agree with snowleopard, the Quokka Sports Immersion just isn’t doing it for me.

Some clarifications:

The Disposable cameras. How about: Usable until you can afford the Sony Camcorder? smile.gif

Want to clarify on Windstopper. It does work okay in tops/jackets, but not when it's the only fabric used. Tends to overheat and is heavy. When coupled with other fabrics, such as Powerstretch or Shoeller Dryskin in the back or sides (Patagonia Partial Eclipse, Cloudveil Shadowpeak, etc.), it's much more practical. In general, Windstopper/Windbloc probably works best for somewhere like Nevada or Wisconson in winter. Not in the Cascades.

Jon: That DriClimb shirt, how does it do in the Cascades for you? I would think that the wet would soak through? Or do you just use it for day climbs when the weather forecast is favorable? I ask because I have full Gore-Tex, but I am looking for something lighter for day climbs when it looks like it won't rain, but need to keep the wind, and a chance of a light sprinkle out.

I’ve had the windshirt for about a year now. I haven’t had any problems in wet weather, though I can say I haven’t been in a torrential downpore and busting my butt with it. There are really many great things about it; it’s not just a $100 sweatshirt.

1) It has a very broad comfort range and moves moisture away from the body very quickly. I sweat like crazy, and I have yet to be soaked in this thing after a hard hike or when I’m working out, let alone slightly damp. It’s pretty amazing. I wore this thing a lot skiing last year, where you typically go from hot to cold quickly, and I think I was the most comfortable I have ever been. 2) It is just plain comfortable. The DriClimb fabric is so soft on your skin you will wear it everywhere. I wear it a lot with just a T-shirt, only putting on a thermal top when it is really cold. 3) Pretty good wind (actually excellent) and water resistance. I’ve been caught biking in the rain with this thing many times and it manages to stay dry and keep you warm. Light rain it will hold its own. 4) When your wearing your rain jacket, it is amazing how unrestricted your movement is because the nylon slides around, as apposed to fleece which almost sticks to the inner of the jacket. When I first put on my jacket on over the windshirt I was seriously in shock how different it felt. It was like I didn’t have the jacket on because my movement was so effortless compared to fleece. 5) Last but not least, it is fuggin light. Very light (10 oz.), very packable (softball size). Don’t leave home without it light.

The bad, well maybe: Over the past years I have become pretty good at staying dry in bad conditions. It’s a combination of better gear, better understanding of how my body works, and experience. Saying that, I’m not sure I would like to be wearing the windshirt soaking wet, or in a situation where I could be very quickly. I haven’t been in that situation yet, but considering the fabric involved, I wouldn’t go on a trip where it is replacing my fleece jacket when I know the weather is going to be foul.

Ok, so that is my review. I don’t want to sound like I work for Marmot, but this thing rocks. I think it has been out for almost ten years now, and the mag reviews I’ve read have had nothing bad to say about it. Go to your shop, try it on with a T-shirt, put a jacket over it, move around and see for youself. You cannot go wrong.

First off, I thought this was a forum for Gear Critiques. That said, I can't think of a single person who "likes" the trail fees or demo programs.

My loves:

Anything Marmot. I've had a three-layer gore-tex alpine jacket for over 4 years and its still going strong.

I'll second the rave for BD Express screws. Most of my technical gear is BD and I am a satisfied customer. I haven't set these screws much (mostly practicing on glaciers since I bought them) but they rock.

Bibler Tents. Used the bombshelter on Denali and that sucka stood up to the conditions.

Hates:

Anything Moonstone. So far anything I have purchased with the Moonstone tag on it has been crap.

With respect to the discussion concerning lightweight jackets, I have a mountain hardware nylon waterproof windbreaker that I tote along on lightweight climbs for those "just in case" moments. I usually only wear a rain jacket when I am stopped since I sweat alot while moving. Over a fleece jacket this seems to work pretty good.

My $.02

My favorite gear...

Moonstone Activent windshirt...Have to disagree on the quality issue. I can't kill this thing and I wear it more than any other piece of clothing (even ice climbing). Repels water, nice trim cut, pit zips, precise zippers.

MH Trango 3.1 tent - stable in high winds, tight in rain, reasonable weight, and high quality. No complaints at all.

La Sportiva Nepal Extremes - these boots do it all; approach hikes, ice, snow, mixed... no blisters, warm toes in the winter. Impecable quality. Too damn expensive though! One of the few things I've ever bought at retail.

MEC Powerstretch Fleece Suit - a one piece farmer john suit that I wear for ice climbing or glacier sloggin'. Can't beat the MEC and Canadian exchange rate.

Leki Makalu trek poles - what can I say?

Marmot - my favorite clothing company..my 100 wt. fleece climbing T goes on every trip

Hates:

North Face's fussy zippers

Second the vote on 2-ply goretex

Smiley's screws crank handles - hate the handles, love the screws - the coffee grinders are made of white metal crap and shatter if you hit them with a tool

Non-Gear Hates:

Canadian export restrictions on climbing gear

People with no trail manners - taking breaks in the middle of the trail, not yeilding to hikers coming down trail, noisy, etc.

ice mutilators - climbers that bash the hell out of an ice flow.. no finesse at all, leaving the flow with huge pockmarks and calving off chunks frown.gif

IMHO

Snow... really? Which end goes in the ice? Oh, the sharpy pointy end! No wonder!

But seriously, you sarcastic SOB, the bottom split section that stradles the screw hanger is made of white metal and will take no abuse whatsoever. I am accustomed to climbing gear being bullet proof, so I was really amazed when the bloody thing broke so easily.

smile.gif

I just bought a Mountain Hardwear Gorewindstopper fleece jacket (also water resistant)... i've seen the miracles of wind jackets and i'm looking forward to trying it out myself. Anyone have this particular peice?.. what do you think?

My favorite thing?... oh, how i LOVE my sleeping bag! Warm - comfy... oh, yes. My absolute favorite! Mountain Hardwear 3rd Degree synthetic. It's a little unruly at times, but i can't seem to stay mad at it.

My least favorite? .. i'm not a big fan of my DMM Alien. Infact - it's for sale!!

Jim,

That's ok - you hold onto that photo. I have a similar one of you in your Moonstone bag :-P Thanks for your offer tho!

Well, i didn't say that the Alien was terrible... i just mentioned that it's for sale... that's all!

BTW - i tested the jacket this last weekend and was very impressed with it. It's now my favorite.

[This message has been edited by Lhotse (edited 11-03-2000).]

I didn't think the Aliens were that bad when I tried them. The big difference was the straight shaft makes bulges harder and the very steep pick angle means that you have to really snap your wrist to get them to place right. I've tried a bunch of tools this year and the Aliens certainly didn't make last place.

Lurve: Dryclime and Buffalo gear - light warm and windproof. If it's plenty cold then you can leave all that Gore stuff at home.

Arrg!: Grivel ice tools. I've not tried The Machine but the other ones I have tried don't stick at all.