shoeller 1

pen

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That Shoeller fabric is very water repellant, breathable, and stretchable, but it IS very expensive and the finish is not as durable as some fabrics. I would not wear it while dangling a lot of ice screws from your rack or while crawling through some manzanita brush.

I've worn some Schoeller pants on snow and rock I find them to be about the most flexible garment I've ever worn. The are very water repellent, very breathable, are comfortable in a wide range of temps and, contrary to what some say, I have found them to be quite durable/abrasion resistant. I got mine from L.L. Bean and while I am not usually a fan of their stuff (except the venerable Maine Hunting Shoe) I have been very happy with them. They are not so expensive from Bean.

I'll check out LL Bean's price. Arcteryx wants a damn fortune for their stuff, and Cloudveil isn't much better. Checked some out at Feathered Friends and was going to buy a shirt and pants until the "staff" got cocky about some climbing shit I asked about. Should've known better. I'm heading back to Jim's for the agile poop. Thanks

scholler is great. sure it will get a hole in it if you cut it but unlike nylon, for instance, the hole doesn't grow.

and if you run a lighter over the pilling it fixes it. i saw arcteryx warranty some guys pilling that way.

as for the price, two words or one - PRO DEAL or SECONDS

Daylward and Forrest claim the Schoeller pants they wear came for only $70CAN from MEC but if so, MEC realized their mistake and has jacked the price back up where everyone else has it.

Can this fabric be obtained from a place such as Seattle Fabrics? Probably worth a phone call.

98.00 CDN for the tights, 146.00 CDN for the pants, 125.00 CDN jacket.

145.00 CDN for Powershield jacket. 185.00 CDN for Powershield bibs.

Sorry about breaching bb etiquette by spewing party line...

GB

P.S. Agree regarding the green option. We call it state trooper.

[This message has been edited by fishstick (edited 08-23-2001).]

I have some nice streatchy Metolius pants with a real lt. weight fuzzy lining. Double seat and knees. Super comfy and were $90 US. Is this pretty much like Shoeller? Oh and by the way Dru and Beck. I've just been fucking with you guys. Hope you don't mind. Actually, I enjoy reading your shit and find you somewhat amusing (cept' for that dumbass chicken joke).

Well, check out "Teddy R. in the danger Zone" for questions about teddy's and my "protection " issues.

On Scholler fabrics, this shit rocks! I disagree about the durability issue on this fabric, it's a real brush buster fabric.

I've got various incantaions of Scholler in pants from TNF, Moonstone, Bertram Mann and an MEC coat and can say this shit is tough as nails and hella comfortable. You can buy pants for as little as 25 dollars if you sniff around for the deals.

I have some of the Metolius winter weight pants like yours, pen, double fabric seat and reinforced knees. they are quite unlike Shoeller fabric. Scholler really comes into it's own in the Alpine environment and snow cold conditions.

I use this stuff all winter long on ski patrol at Mount Rainier and only had to pull the shell on twice- It is much more wind resistant and snow shedding than any pile, velour, or speciality fabric out there. In addition, you stay very dry and comfortable, no feeling like a sweaty armpit at the steam room.

Usually I would come down off the mountain and would be completely dry after a hard day of patrolling, everyone else would be wet on the insides of their shells and getting chilled while I relaxed in total dry comfort.

I just picked up a new Patagonia jacket called the Dimension that is Scholler on steroids, gorilla skin tough shit.

You can buy a Scholler type wool blend stretch woven available at Seattle Fabrics, 20 bucks a yard, you could sew a coat for 80 bucks and time.