softshell pants??

meadlx200

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the exact name of mine, but they're Black Diamond with Schoeller fabric and they're super minimal. I love them like I've loved no other article of clothing. A single zip back pocket, two side pockets, and that is it for features. Got them at Mountain Gear on sale (clearance, possibly). The schoeller shell over long underwear has the most remarkable climate control properties. I'm never too warm, too sweaty, or too cold, unless I stop for a really long time.

The Black Diamond pants mentioned above are probably the Alpine pant and are supposed to be pretty good. Don't forget to check out beyond fleece, I've been tempted to order from them recently...custom fit!

Which mammut pants do you have? The Champ pant??? If so, and you're the right size, I'd be willing to take them off your hands.

If you're a little larger than I, I'll sell you my Mountain Hardwear Trekking pant (size Large). These pants are soooooo sweet but they are just a little too long for me. I usually wear a 33 waist X 32ish leg. They def do not have the yerp p-star look.

For alpine & ice climbs, the Patagonia Super Guide pants rock! I am not sure if they are what you are looking for because they are geared 100% for function in the mountains and not fashion in town. But, why are you looking for fashionable soft shell pants in the first place?

I appreciate the input from everyone. That's what I like about this site..battle tested recommendations. Alpaholic, I have the champs, they are about 3 years old, with a gorillia glue stain on the leg, it looks like I was dry humped by an elephant--there's no way you would want them, but they are a good conversation ice breaker.

My wife has the Arcteryc bibs. They are excellent pants in the cold - i.e. - extended cold mountaineering trips and / or skiing when it's 0. However - she wore them once on a wet ice climb and got entirely soaked to the bone (it was the first time I had ever actually seen someone turn blue). She now only wears them when it's guaranteed to be cold and never when ice climbing.

I second Patagonia Guide/Super Guides. And there is NO need for an additional shell NO MATTER WHAT THE WEATHER brings, as suggested in an earlier post.

The unnamed BD pants could be the BDVs or the Alpine pants. I would stay away from the BDVs, though. No shape, elastic waist, they fit more like sweat pants and the leg taper is too much.