[TR] Highway 270, WA - "Death by Chocolate" WI 5+ M7 2/4/2007

Craig Pope

Trip: Highway 270, WA - "Death by Chocolate" WI 5+ M7

Date: 2/4/2007

Trip Report:

Finally I got a first ascent!!!

After getting kicked off the 'bouldering curtain' behind Shop-ko in Pullman, we (Lee Neer and I)found these two pieces of Ice hidden behind a new, (6 months old) Rock pit on the way back to Moscow. The climb on the left is for tomorrow morning as early as light will allow, and hopefully will be another successful F.A. The one on the right was option 'B', but looked safer, (relatively, lol), because it was not quite as overhanging as the left one.

I'm just excited, sorry. . .

.. . .pulling out of the cave scared the shit out of me, and the whole 'climbing on very brown ice' was totally foreign. The one nice thing about the beginning was the amount of 'hooking' available due to the heinously thin/new/overhanging ice, but it meant the burn held off till the end. . .

.. . .now to work on some endurance. . .

Going to get a couple of second opinions tomorrow, but as far as Big John (hyperspud sports), and I have figured it would go around WI 5+ // or M7-8 and I named it "Death by Chocolate", approx. 60-70ft. short, but oh so sweet. Pun intended. Going to pull a repeat and then a couple second ascents tomorrow morning and hopefully the left climb. . .hopefully. . .

(Photos by Amanda Wiebush)

CRAIGMAN

Gear Notes:

short screws approx. 5 and a BD spectre, (or 2), a couple small nuts, and a Trango 'ballnutz' size 3 if you care.

Approach Notes:

tomorrow

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

got a couple more photos of the repeat, just to know I wasn't a farse. . .but I am looking for someone to get on it soon, (before it falls off), and collaborate about the grading - primarily pulling the little cave before topping out.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=24688&cat=505

Just curious, how do I put the photos directly in the post, not just the link??

well, the M rating is more of an ecucated guess than anything. Honestly, I have not done that much Mixed, there were about three hard 10.c/d moves before I had to pull 2 Figure 4's, (someone else might not have to, but I am ot that powerful a climber). I've dry tooled a couple 11's and a 12c at granite pointe on the snake river, and thr dry tooling out of the cave on Death by Chocolate was a little easier. that was all I had to draw from. It is going to be getting back to the 20 degree mark in acouple of days, and I am looking for a couple people to repeat it with/without me, and let me know what they think.

I've dry tooled a couple 11's and a 12c at granite pointe on the snake river,

That is very poor form and is absolutely unacceptable. :tdown: :tdown:

There is very limited climbable rock in the Palouse and the rock at Granite is friable when under the increased pressure of ice tools. If you need to go drytooling, go to Pullman Rocks or go back to that quarry and drytool there.

I would really like to know who bolted 'rotten crack' at granite, and why they did such a horrible job. until you pull the crux, you will deck off the first three bolts, not to mention the first is completely un-needed, considering I can clip it from the ground. It is the easiest bolted climb there, and the people who are going to be climbing it may not have the discernment not to. that one 5.9 move could cost someone both legs.

Also, who the f*** chopped the bols on steriods to Heaven??? You could lead it trad but it would be a dangerous one as well.

let's get together and chat when I get back into town. I've been thinking about setting up a drytool crag and could use some help

I would love to. I wont have a working phone till the 17th, but if you get hold of me on my email, then I would love to get together. That wold be something a lot of people would appreciate. I have some locations in mind too.