[TR] Mt. St. Helens - Worms 2/2/2007

DrDre

Trip: Mt. St. Helens - Worms

Date: 2/2/2007

Trip Report:

Started at 0815. Wanted to go late to warm up the snow by the time I was ready to ski. Reached top, then summit in good time. Warm, sunny, great views. First 1000 ft of descent sucked. Icy, crust. Traversed a little and got in the right canyon system and had fairly good snow for about 3000 ft. A great day.

There were 20 or so people scattered over the mountain over the day.

Approach Notes:

Booted the entire ascent with skis on my back

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I am new to climbing. I took a snow school out on Mt. Hood last year and was wanting some info about Mt. St. Helens. I was wanting to first know what kind of climb it is. I have heard that the route is marked with large poles all the way to the summit, is this true? When I took the school out on Hood they told us that after we had done the school we could solo the South Sister with the skills that we had learned, does this sound right? I like the guide services but I felt with the snow school that they was a lot of "hurry up lets get this over with by the guides" so I was thinking of St helens in not a bear I was thinking of soloing it or if all else fails getting a guide service. Im new so please let me know if its to much to handle dont want to be on CNN as a lost climber. Lastly what is entailed in "checking in" after the climb. I remember from Hood that they made us fill out our permits but I dont remember how all of it went. Do you tear the permit like a raffle ticket were the park service keeps half and you bring back the other half to signify you are not still on the mountain?

Thanks,

Shawn

There aren't any poles up to the summit, but rather around the moutain (the Loowit trail). It's easier than hood but you should have at least some very basic route finding skills. You might want to go with a friend who's done it before so you aren't a CNN story; just my advice since you are brand new.

If you do south sister in the summer you will see the trail leading to the top.... just follow the other 500 people walking up the side. It's totally obvious.

Do a search in the newbie forum for more general tips, pick up a copy of Freedom of the Hills, etc etc etc.

On the route out of Marble Mountain Snow Park, after you get to timberline there are a few intervisible poles up to the trail around the mountain (4800ft). From there you keep going up the ridge that you are on.

Any nice sunny day will find 10-20 people on the mountain. Later in the spring there will be 100-150 on some nice weekend days. Just show up at the snow park and you can find someone to climb with or just follow them up the mountain.

In summer, you can see the trail all of the way to the top of South Sister. I think that there may be even more people on that mountain than St. Helens. You don't need a guide in good weather on either mountain unless you get lost in the mall.

Oh, and you pick up your permit at Jack's. It is a few miles before you get to Cougar. You will sign into the register outside of the store and then sign again when you get out.

Edited by btowle