All Religions are not Equal

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I mean to say that I have never felt the need to confine others' ways of thinking to the contricts of consisteny, rationality, etc.

I believe it is a uniquely human trait to be able to hold two seemingly conflicting ideals at once and still be able to function, make decisions, accept others, and accept themselves. I see beauty in that.

And I think it's a uniquely human trait to observe someone holding two seemingly conflicting ideals at once, and feel compelled to point out this irony.

Edited by ericb

I think I mean to say that I have never felt the need to confine others' ways of thinking to the contricts of consisteny, rationality, etc.

I believe it is a uniquely human trait to be able to hold two seemingly conflicting ideals at once and still be able to function, make decisions, accept others, and accept themselves. I see beauty in that.

And I think it's a uniquely human trait to observe someone holding two seemingly conflicting ideals at once, and feel compelled to point out this irony.

So is the abuse of young boys by Catholic Priests just another by-product of the "beauty of humanity"?

Actually, they are all equal: tools for dividing people into us and them, sanctioning murder of the other, oppression of assorted minority populations, and a savage collar on the lives of the believers. You're all free to believe what you want, but I believe all religions suck green donkey dicks.

Wow and Remember Stalin??? Fucker killed 50 million of his own country men in the name of no religion.

yeah, that's a great fucking vision of life. no wonder atheists are so hateful, pathetic, and unhappy.

Pot, kettle.

People don't need religion to be cruel to others. Hell anyone know how many people died in the Killing fields in the name of no religion called communism?

yeah, that's a great fucking vision of life. no wonder atheists are so hateful, pathetic, and unhappy.

Pot, kettle.

People don't need religion to be cruel to others. Hell anyone know how many people died in the Killing fields in the name of no religion called communism?

I think the final count was around 9 million or so.

i see it as moral relativism... and i don't see the beauty in it. it's cafeteria morality.

...and we know nothing good comes out of cafeterias :mistat:

Oh c'mon, what is Christianity but the pathetic whining of an emotional two year old, stamping it's foot and declaring, "ME! I am important and I WILL live forever. I AM SPECIAL." Grow up and face the facts: once you die, it's maggots and weevils forever after, amen. You're not the blessed child of some god, and the only immortality you can hope for is either a drop of your DNA in the river, or the small effect your individual self will have on those you leave behind.

so what you're saying is that for you religion is the "green pill" and the reason you're happy? i know many happy atheists who go on about life in a very positive way. when you know that your life is finite, you tend to live it fully.

Oh c'mon, what is Christianity but the pathetic whining of an emotional two year old, stamping it's foot and declaring, "ME! I am important and I WILL live forever. I AM SPECIAL." Grow up and face the facts: once you die, it's maggots and weevils forever after, amen. You're not the blessed child of some god, and the only immortality you can hope for is either a drop of your DNA in the river, or the small effect your individual self will have on those you leave behind.

so what you're saying is that for you religion is the "green pill" and the reason you're happy? i know many happy atheists who go on about life in a very positive way. when you know that your life is finite, you tend to live it fully.

So what your saying is knowing your life is finite is your green pill??? People can live happy lives what ever they believe. The ones killing each other in history are the ones (both sides) that feel like they need to shove there beliefs down other throats. If people could just accept others whatever they beleive then the killing would stop on both sides. Called ignorance.

yes seahawks, it is my green pill. i think you'll find that its not the atheists shoving their vision of anything down anybody's throats. we have nothing to lobby for and "god" isn't going to punish us for not doing our best to spread "the word".

those with religious ideals feel mandated to spread their version and are not content to let everyone coexist with their belief system.

my comment wasn't meant in anyway to prostelytize. in fact it was a reflection of me bristling at KK's obvious dismissal and insulting of atheists. he is obviously religious and unwilling to accept that other's viewpoints and happiness don't depend on "god".

yes seahawks, it is my green pill. i think you'll find that its not the atheists shoving their vision of anything down anybody's throats. we have nothing to lobby for and "god" isn't going to punish us for not doing our best to spread "the word".

those with religious ideals feel mandated to spread their version and are not content to let everyone coexist with their belief system.

my comment wasn't meant in anyway to prostelytize. in fact it was a reflection of me bristling at KK's obvious dismissal and insulting of atheists. he is obviously religious and unwilling to accept that other's viewpoints and happiness don't depend on "god".

Atheists are trying to create a society where my child will grow up being told that children are an unfortunate consequence of sex. I don't like you forcing your beliefs on me.

wrong!

SOME do...but don't generalize! typically, what you see on tv evangalists and the like are folks preaching to those that already 'believe'. also, what you might be using as your basis is the door to door types (LDS for instance) which is again NOT the majority of religious people.

what you need to see is that they are doing what they are thinking is right. it is part of their belief system to spread what they believe to be the way to salvation. or, the way to a good life. much like environmentalists (or other interest groups) feel it necessary to spread the word of their cause. personally, the door-to-door types aren't so bothersome and will leave you alone if you ask them to. i can imagine a lot worse types knocking on my door.

can you blame them for doing what they believe is the right thing to do. what harm are they doing to the world?

Minx, just remember, there's only one thing Islamic and Christian fundamentalists hate more than people who believe in other gods, and that's people who don't believe in any god at all. Just expressing your opinion is considered a full frontal assault to their belief system- you're dangerous to them.

"Doesn't matter what you believe, as long as you believe in something." :rolleyes:

Atheists are trying to create a society where my child will grow up being told that children are an unfortunate consequence of sex. I don't like you forcing your beliefs on me.

what????? when has that become associated with athiests? that's ridiculous. i think my son is the best thing that ever happened. i don't think he's a gift from god but i do think he's the most amazing thing ever.

the implication of that comment is that your children are more special(unique) in their creation (a gift from god) than a puppy. newsflash--it's all the same--sperm+egg=offspring. i don't think children should be deluded about their relationship to the rest of ecosystem. the biology is pretty similar regardless of species. except that komodo dragon...

can you blame them for doing what they believe is the right thing to do. what harm are they doing to the world?

If "what they believe is right" involves using media, schools, and government to influence what people are taught and what information they get to be biased towards their particular religious persuasion, then they are doing plenty of harm. Anyone who's religion tells them they need to convert people and "save" them- whether it's by knocking on doors and offering literature, or killing non-believers to please God, really ought to question the substance and validity of the system.

"What you believe is right" holds a lot of room for justification and is a great tool for the human ego to run amok.

what????? when has that become associated with athiests? that's ridiculous. i think my son is the best thing that ever happened. i don't think he's a gift from god but i do think he's the most amazing thing ever.

the implication of that comment is that your children are more special(unique) in their creation (a gift from god) than a puppy. newsflash--it's all the same--sperm+egg=offspring. i don't think children should be deluded about their relationship to the rest of ecosystem. the biology is pretty similar regardless of species. except that komodo dragon...

I disagree, and to the extent that you (or other liberals) are trying to influence legislation that teaches this in schools, and specifically bans the teaching (or even mention) of contradictory theories, you are pushing your beliefs (or non-beliefs) on me and/or my children. I know how you feel.

yeah and btw--your religion means my child is brought up in a world where people believe that a dead guy came back to life after 3days. freaks him out. i don't like you forcing your beliefs on me.

your world makes my child think that moms kill real live babies before they are born.

i don't like you forcing your beliefs on me.

Minx, just remember, there's only one thing Islamic and Christian fundamentalists hate more than people who believe in other gods, and that's people who don't believe in any god at all. Just expressing your opinion is considered a full frontal assault to their belief system- you're dangerous to them.

"Doesn't matter what you believe, as long as you believe in something." :rolleyes:

If Minx wants to beleive there is nothing I have no problem with that. So Don't try to generalize your beleifs of others on us.

I don't think Minx is any less of a person for it. And no I never, ever shove my beleifs down others throats. I work with a Muslim and we talk reigion all the time. We get along perfectly and we don't beleive the same thing. I find his religion interesting and ask him all sorts of questions about it as he does with me.

I do think you are for trying to cause problems. You would be the one in History killing people becuase they don't have your beleifs.

you don't have many friends that are religious, do you?

What do you mean by "religious"? Do I have friends who carry personal beliefs about their origin and have spirituality? Everyone I know, myself included, have that. Do I have friends who go to church and center their life around organized religion? Not really, and it's no accident why. There's a tangible barrier; you can feel the judgment seething out of them even if they never verbalize it. Every conversation drops out some little jab about "getting your life in order" or somesuch as if I projected any sort of discord and was seeking their advice.

And you know what Underworld? I'm happy for them. I respect the fact that religion gives them structure and comfort, and they can have it. I wouldn't pretend to suggest that government, media, or the social structure in general attempt to stifle people's religious beliefs. But if Christians, Muslims, or whoever, is going to bring up the issue with me, uninvited, then I'm free to tell them what I think of their system all the same and suggest that they alter the way they view others. And that's only a suggestion. You can take it or leave it. Most of them won't listen long enough to consider it, let alone take it, or leave it.