New Thread - Old Topic - Dead Horse

minx

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that in a world of competing demands, you have to rank your priorities and make an effort to live in a manner that's as consistent with them as possible. This doesn't happen automatically, and having a tangible goal for climbing - just like staying in shape by setting a goal of jogging X-miles per week - is one way to try to insure that climbing gets the place that it deserves in your life. "Days climbing" is also probably shorthand for "not forsaking everything that climbing symbolizes to the tyranny of everyday minutia."

I imagine that most people just use the "daymeter" to keep track of how well they were able to integrate this particular priority into their lives.

Having said that, I've never kept track of the number of days that I've climbed in a given year. I have more outdoor hobbies than I could possibly pursue intensely all at once, so I've just gone with the flow. Less climbing has always just meant more of something else that I enjoy just as much.

I have found that when i climb to my heart's content, absolutely everything else from job, to family, to household, to relationship is totally fucked...it honestly is a balancing act and i don't sweat it as bad as i used to...

plus, i'm going injury free for the longest time that i can remember... :tup:

My buddy and I had a gentlemen's bet on who could climb 100,000 vertical feet first that year (car to summit net, no inbetween bumps, no 'hikes' allowed). They day we each crossed the line (he crossed first) we split a bottle of champagne. That was kind of fun.

Having goals like routes you'd like to do, areas you'd like to explore, or skills you'd like to improve or people you'd like to climb with provides less of an accounting oriented method than 'days out', which I've never tracked personally.

In the end, whatever helps you accomplish what you want to accomplish in a given year is what works.

I've always gotten the most out of climbing by setting goals and challenging myself to meet them. I don't have a set a target of a number of days to get out, but I don't think its any different than any other climbing-realated goal that adds value to the experience, IMHO.

Having goals like routes you'd like to do, areas you'd like to explore, or skills you'd like to improve or people you'd like to climb with provides less of an accounting oriented method than 'days out', which I've never tracked personally.

In the end, whatever helps you accomplish what you want to accomplish in a given year is what works.

:tup::brew:

I also try and over compensate in giving back time: "Yeah, I know I was out all night on the mountain while you were asleep, so go ahead and spend the weekend with your friends at the beach and I'll stay home with the kid." ;)

ahhh...the brownie point system...you make withdrawals and you make deposits...

NEWSFLASH...it doesn't work cuz the chickies use a different accounting system...

i've found saying "Fuck it, i'm going, i'm taking the kids cuz they enjoy it, i've done enough shit around the house and its a nice weekend and i'm going to go PLAY, later..." works really well...

oftentimes, when phrased that way, the wife says "you got a point, mind if i come along?"

Dave Barry had a funny column once about "points." His rant ran along the lines that no matter what you did, you only got one point. Wash the dishes? One point. Mink coat? One point. I think there was a corresponding bit about how anytime you cashed in a point, you used them all and had to start over at zero.

Kinda funny, but doesn't really relate to my life at present. My wife is very supportive of me going climbing, and I'm equally glad to do my bit to support whatever makes her heart sing. It's running my damned business that eats up my time, so all of the other things I do get neglected. I tell ya, the Wednesday climbing session here in Tenino has been a real boon to my chronically overextended life.

That said, I probably got out climbing more days in 2006 than in the previous couple years combined. :P

Climbing was my entire universe until my son was born in Oct. Now….I knew this going in. But adjusting to having it be a bluebird day with friends calling be to climb and me saying no. I am choosing not to go and to stay and support the little one. Another problem is my wife loves to climb. Well its not such a problem maybe in the future when we can all go but for now I feel guilty climbing when she is home taking care of baby, and I am out enjoying the day cranking somewhere. She was my climbing partner for 3 years before the baby. Any of you experience parenthood (at least while they are infants) and the loss of your passion? Or at least having it put on hold for a while.

Maybe that’s why I have become such a CC.comer, because I am climbing vicariously through all of you.

ahhh...the brownie point system...you make withdrawals and you make deposits...

NEWSFLASH...it doesn't work cuz the chickies use a different accounting system...

i've found saying "Fuck it, i'm going, i'm taking the kids cuz they enjoy it, i've done enough shit around the house and its a nice weekend and i'm going to go PLAY, later..." works really well...

oftentimes, when phrased that way, the wife says "you got a point, mind if i come along?"

:laf: Ok, point taken. But it's worked so far. I'm going on 18 years and things seem pretty good so far. :brew: I just have to find a way for her to ignore the news clips of those fucking Hood epics that rear their head every now and then. :noway: Those tend to derail my plans. :rolleyes:

Any of you experience parenthood (at least while they are infants) and the loss of your passion? Or at least having it put on hold for a while.

If you're passionate, you shouldn't lose your passion. You make changes, compromises. You do what you can to make it work. But don't lose your passion.

My kid is approaching the same age when I first climbed Hood. My mom thought my dad was crazy for taking me up there, but in retrospect, he couldn't have been safer with me. I've been climbing since and the passion to repeat that trip is definitely there. Just be safe and make good decisions. And don't lose the passion. :tup:

don't lose the passion.

That is the goal. I will never loose the passion…..that’s the problem. I always think about climbing and it will have to be put on the back burner for a while. That’s ok. Seeing my boy smile at me every day I come home is passion enough for me right now.

Any of you experience parenthood (at least while they are infants) and the loss of your passion? Or at least having it put on hold for a while.

Maybe thats why I have become such a CC.comer, because I am climbing vicariously through all of you.

...dude, welcome to the adult world...

Maybe thats why I have become such a CC.comer, because I am climbing vicariously through all of you.

...dude, welcome to the adult world...

yup--gave up a lot of activities when the little guy was even littler. no one forced me. it just felt right at the time.