new tools..

NYC007

So... aside from the obvious (diff materials), how do the new viper and cobra stack up side by side? Does either one stand out over the other?

How about the new cobra vs. old cobra. Is the balance and weight distrubution about the same? The weight dist. and balance were what really sold me on the old-style cobras?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to try out a set of the new ones at Ouray in January. More curve to the shaft in the new ones. The set I used had one with the small Viper hammer head and one with an original Cobra head. The heavier head made the balance feel just like the old ones; the small (what will be stock) head made that tool seem a little light and out balance, for my swing anyway.

Does either one stand out over the other?

As in if you could own one set of tool? What are you getting at? I think it depends on what you are looking for... are you shopping for an all around ice tool or are you planning on just water ice action and no alpine stuff...?

How about the new cobra vs. old cobra. Is the balance and weight distribution about the same?

I haven't been climbing ice that long so I never owned a pair of old cobras :blush: so I hesitate to comment. I do know a few unbiased parties who owned/loved/cherished the old cobras and tried out the new ones and have either placed orders for the new ones or are planning on doing so.

And there is pressure for another PDX Ice Festival this year so assuming we get our act(s) together down here you should be able to demo all the tools from all the vendors this fall.

Now do some pull ups!

As in if you could own one set of tool? What are you getting at? I think it depends on what you are looking for... are you shopping for an all around ice tool or are you planning on just water ice action and no alpine stuff...?

I am interested in further insight into this question. Let's say for alpine mixed and waterfall ice, perhaps an all-around tool...

Cobra: 299

OUCH!

that's the same price they were when new.

I thought the old cobras were $269, which I thought was plenty steep enough. Either way, I reiterate my previous sentiment, which is...OUCH!

If you think you can make them for cheaper be my guest.

I am interested in further insight into this question. Let's say for alpine mixed and waterfall ice, perhaps an all-around tool...

In general a pure WI tool tends to sport a larger bend and/or a double handle. The larger bend allows for easier/larger clearance around bulges/roofs.

With that said the majority of cc.coms are still cruxing out on WI4 (not a lot of bulges/roofs on 4s) so chances are having a tool with a ton of clearance likely isn't a deal breaker for most...

Both the previous and current vipers have a larger bend in the tool over the previous and current cobras making them a little more user friendly on steeper terrain.

With that said now it gets a little fuzzy... if you get a pair of tools and learn how to drive them (that one's for you Pax) you can get up just about anything. But know how to use them. Be comfy on them. A certain cc.comer who will remain nameless got up peak 11300 in AK with a pair of BD reactors... did someone forget to tell him you aren't suppose to take double handle leashless tools in the alpine? No... he just knew how to drive them...

So... if you have a pair of tools... get comfy with them. Use them... a lot.

4 months to ice season! :moondance:

I think John is someone who knows what he is talking about... if that is arrogance to you, then fine. Doesn't sound arrogant to me. In fact I appreciate his insight... he isn't making people take what he has to say as absolute scripture... like anything else these are his opinions and insights.

• 2 weeks later...
all of your posts sound so arrogant.

You obviously haven't met John: he kind of talks just like that, except he's way upbeat, encouraging and smiling. He's way into this and wants to share it with you so that you have the benefit of his (hard won) experience. He's happy to freely and openly share if you appreciate the info. (most of us really, really do BTW)

Might be one of the most positive, upbeat, friendly folks out there. He did a massive amount of organizing and giving up his personal time last year to do the ice climbing comp at Portland Rock Gym.

Maybe try re-reading his posts, and think of him smiling and encouraging you, wanting you to both climb better (for yourself) and encourage him to climb better too.

Not arrogant at all. At all !

Thought you might want to hear it so you can look differently about it.

Try to imagine him as a smiling, happy, upbeat, fun-loving dude who loves this stuff and just wants to share. That's what it is.

ps, Mark: I tried to see where that arrogant thing you see might have come from. John will be the first to tell you that he's in open mouth awe at that certain un-named dude he mentions in his post above who drove the reactors up peak 11300 in Alaska. He regularly climbs with him, and probably has said exactly that right to the dude I'd expect. (the rest of us stand in awe as well, so we're on that train as well). Not arrogance for sure, just stating facts up there.

Edited by billcoe

• 1 month later...

ok, time to bring this thread back...

now that the tools are out, what are your impressions?

I have heard a few negative things about the vipers... something about how they are too light, and don't stick that well... is this true?

How closely do the new vipers compare with the old ones?

If I was only going to buy one set of tools, would it be worth the extra cash to get the cobras?

And, lastly... what makes the cobras worth so much more than the vipers... (besides the carbon fiber... I know that stuff is pricey).

thanks

I have heard a few negative things about the vipers... something about how they are too light, and don't stick that well... is this true?

Look at W's post in this thread.

How closely do the new vipers compare with the old ones?

Look @ the BD website.

If I was only going to buy one set of tools, would it be worth the extra cash to get the cobras?

That depends on you. Come demo them and decide for yourself.

what makes the cobras worth so much more than the vipers... (besides the carbon fiber... I know that stuff is pricey)

Carbon fiber vs aluminium shaft.

Demo these tools and others at the PDX Ice festival.