spraypainting metal gear?

Gary_Yngve

I'm thinking about buying a dozen carbiners, lockers, and pulleys for the UWCC for crevasse rescue practice and want to spraypaint them bright orange to make it less likely for folks to walk off with them.

Any caveat regarding slings/rope rubbing on the spray-painted metal later?

I don't think so, just making sure

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, In part reply to your OP. Spray painting will get scrubbed off. Touch u paint is no more durable. Unless you want to go to a complete prep, prime, finish system.

On the other side. I have for several years used spray paint hurridly applied (and redone once a year) to identify biners and other gear that I have relagated to slackline use. Once the paint is cured despite the loads applied I have seen no affect on the webbing or slings. The paint rubs off in the locations one would guess at. The dried particles brush off or work out of the material.

For marking practice gear I would say go for it.

P.S. If we ever go climbing and you find gear on my rack that is painted an ugly mint green, don't use it :D

Nail polish works pretty well, especially if the biners/gear has any raised areas on it (like stamped logos or strengths' along the spine). It'll get into the depressions and lasts pretty well.

Either that or you could just get the biggest heaviest biners/pulleys you can find so no one wants to steal them :)