Job Search Tactics

archenemy

I've also found that job searching in IT fields sucks these days. The employers seem to want to do excessively long interviews of every applicant that comes along so that most of the applicants end up being rejected. I recommend only applying for jobs that are really a close fit and try to avoid employers that want multi-day interviews (or even more than 1/2 day). You wont find a job any faster but at least there will be less wasted effort. And recruiters never seem to do any good. Good luck, after a year of interviewing in this "hot" market I was unable to move from where I am.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sit on my ass and wait for the phone to ring... which I don't answer 'cause I can't reach it from here.

Prospective employers are gonna need to come visit me and hope the door is unlocked. They're gonna need to show they have initiative and come in the house when I don't answer the door.

They better have a fat signing bonus check in hand or I'll shoot 'em in the knee.

Having sat on both sides of the interview desk, I can say the first thing you need to do is circumvent the HR department. Someone gave them a list and said 'match this'. They are not, however, the best judge of your skills or ability to work with a team, etc. HR is largely there to provide a buffer between the execs and the employees (sorry if any of you are in HR but it's true no matter where I've worked and you'll have a hard time changing my opinion).

I've done it your way and you really do need to find someone who knows someone who can get you in touch with the people who put in the request for the actual job. Or someone who works there who can vouch for you. There are too many well-qualified people out there and what matters is people vouching for you and bringing you to the attention of the right people, not letting some HR flunky decide you aren't qualified. That's like letting someone with a degree in social work or english literature decide whether or not you're highly qualified enough.

Having sat on both sides of the interview desk, I can say the first thing you need to do is circumvent the HR department. Someone gave them a list and said 'match this'. They are not, however, the best judge of your skills or ability to work with a team, etc. HR is largely there to provide a buffer between the execs and the employees (sorry if any of you are in HR but it's true no matter where I've worked and you'll have a hard time changing my opinion).

I've done it your way and you really do need to find someone who knows someone who can get you in touch with the people who put in the request for the actual job. Or someone who works there who can vouch for you. There are too many well-qualified people out there and what matters is people vouching for you and bringing you to the attention of the right people, not letting some HR flunky decide you aren't qualified. That's like letting someone with a degree in social work or english literature decide whether or not you're highly qualified enough.

The position I'm appling for is interviewing several candidates. Fortunately I know a friend who has worked with the Manager of the department nearly 10yrs ago. I'm using that to my advantage, along with letters of recomendations and emails from my friend to the manager. I've made it to the 2nd round, Hopefully I'll have a chance and make it to the final round. The problem is this, I really want the job and can think of nothing else that I'd rather do, besides, of course, climb. Just hope they have 4 months of vacation and 2 months of sick time so I can go to Yosemite, Joshua, Red rocks, Gunks, Levenworth, Etc.

I'm looking for some input from you guys on how to better find a fucking job. So far, I have followed up with a few possibilities with the following correspondance:

Subject: Human Resources

Dear Hiring Manager,

Thank you for your letter of January 16. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me a position in your department at this time. This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of candidates, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite your company's outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs at this time. Therefore, I will assume the position in your department this February. I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely,

Interviewee

However, I am not sure I am getting my point across.

Suggestions?

troll crossing!!!

Troll.jpg

Man, you totally nailed it. HR people just hate me. They don't even acknowledge receipt of my resume. But, if I can talk to the people in the lab, I almost always hit it off great. Almost ever job I've had involved an inside contact- someone who knew me. The trick is coming up with that contact.

I don't talk to HR people. Haven't for years. Even recruiters are a bit challenging. They mean well, but they ask technical questions and then don't understand my answers. I get confused as to why they asked the question in the first place. It's all very strange.

would you relocate?

i mean this far south?

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer