[TR] Mount Saint Helens - the usual 1/28/2007

cluck

Trip: Mount Saint Helens - the usual

Date: 1/28/2007

Trip Report:

Corn in January may be abnormal but it's great anyway!

IMG_0218.JPG

Mt_Saint_Helens_-sm.jpg

Goofy self portrait:

IMG_0202-1.jpg

First tracks. Yeah beeyotches!

IMG_0206-1.JPG

The last few turns into camp:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1836698489

IMG_0213.JPG

I guess it was pretty icy on Saturday. Bummer. Sunday was the bomb! Saw Pandora and others at the top. Hope you all had as much fun on the way down as I did.

Gear Notes:

Umm. Skis...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was out there too on Saturday...were you one of the snowshoers that summitted?

It didn't look like too many people summitted on Saturday. From the tracks I think I was the only one to head over to the true summit. The ski down was super icy, but at least it made going down quick.

Great panorama shot! I may well have to steal that idea from you next time I get up there.

Heads up to everyone on parking at Marble Mountain Sno-Park: make sure you have a Sno-Park parking permit. We arrived at midnight on Saturday and saw no signs until we got the $52 ticket on our return.

Even so, the skiing was worth it.

Was up there today. I should have brought a blender, I could have made magaritas with the ICE!! So yeah, extremely icey, which wasn't a problem until the descent, which sucked on my splitboard. Ther was not a cloud in the sky and Adams was looking quite nice. I think the highlight of the trip was about 15 minutes after we summited while we were taking pics, she started making rumbling noises, my partner and I just looked at each other like wtf. We decided it was probably normal, and needn't worry to much about it, although we didnt stay to much longer at the top. It added to the experience of climbing an active volcano though. All in all good climbing, shitty riding!!

I would bring crampons and ice axe for sure. Splitboard or skis will make for a faster decent and approach. However if its really icy you might have to carry them part of the way. I would be prepared for high winds, and cold weather. Bring food and water and your set. Note avalanche danger before leaving. Its been low lately which was perfect. I wouldn't attempt it if conditions were above considerable maybe even moderate. I'm sure other will provide info too. Have a fun trip. Dont forget to buy a parking permit for marble mountain sno-park, or you might get left a present.