calories

erik

in an attempt not to bonk, calories consumption is very important.

since i am poor and have anversion to real work. i am always looking for cost effective tasty treats for the mtns. currently and always i am munchin on:

seaseme treats $.50 230 calories.

tiger's milk $.69 220-230 calories

luna bar $1.59 220 calories (i know i know, but they taste about 500,000,000 times better then the rest.)

frito lay honey roasted peanutz 2 for $.99 250 cal each

this all i can think of right now, but there is more.

any ideas!?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big fan of Tiger's Milk. There is a lot of integrity and bravery wrapped up in that product. I mean the guy in charge of milking those big cats has gotta be one tough bastard. Makes climbing look like a girl scout activity.

PC Disclaimer: The girl scout reference was meant in no way to denegrate women climbers.

Bulk gummi bears from SaveOn Foods are pretty good. Or fruit leather strips, 99c CDN/45g, more calories than same weight of power bar, tastes better too. There is always JERKY too. One of the things I like about USA roadtrips is going by "Grocery Outlet" and grabbing a big 1 lb. bag of Oberto turkey jerky chunks for $1.99!!!

Erik aren't those Luna Bars fortified with soya protein to provide women with beneficial plant-sourced estrogen? Are your breasts growing? tongue.gif

large amounts of fat take more water to digest. that should be a concern, i f you want to have effiecent calories,

and drul if you look aup soya protein it has nothing to do with estrogen. i know you want me bad, but i am not like that. tongue.gif

SportPharma ProMax Bars - $1.09 at Trader Joes which is an incredible deal because elsewhere they are over $1.59.

These are by far the best tasting energy bars I've ever used, and they work incredibly well. 280 Calories, 50 from Fat, 20g Protein.

Erik, I don't think it is the proteins themselves, but soy beans are a large source of so called 'phytoestrogens' or environmental estrogens, compounds which the body uses like estrogen.

Women going through menopause are supposed to eat a lot of soy because it will naturally act like hormone replacement therapy!

Hence all the soya in the Luna Bar as I understand it. Its a girl thing.

http://www.som.tulane.edu/ecme/eehome/newsviews/queries/archive/jul_dec1999.html

[This message has been edited by Dru (edited 06-14-2001).]

Outside Mag can kiss my ass. Gee, I wonder why they chose PowerBarf, could it be the hundred$ of thousand$ in adverti$ing. Give me a break. Every big magazine chooses PowerBar, man they taste like shit and there is nothing optimized about them. You are right about choosing one that tasted good and works, some people can't handle certain foods on during vigorous activity, I've found my stomach doesn't like oatmeal that much because it's too heavy.

If you don't want to crash eat something with a little simple carb, some complex carb and lots of protein, like Promax bars or something comparable. Protein gives you the most bang for you buck/wieght, helps your body repair (not just refuel). I don't want to go into the metabolic biochemistry of the whole thing but I will if people keep eating PowerBarfs.

nutrition be damned! powerbars taste like reconstituted cardboard. eat a snickers or a butterfinger.

on a related note, i read an article again last night by peter croft about when he first started doing long linkups and long technical traverses in the mountains. through experimentation, he discovered that he could survive on 500 - 700 calories a day without a loss in performance.

experiment with your caloric needs. you could save a few bones by not intaking calories you don't need!

Good & cheap: PBJ sammiches, beef jerky, jolly ranchers, granola bars, peanut m&m's, homemade rice krispy treats, banana chips, fig neutrons, Dutch bread & yogurt-covered raisins (I never actually count calories, just carry & eat plenty).

Never: Power anything (I actually slorped down some power-goo packets on Shasta... never again- 'shudder')

Of course, what tastes good at any given time depends on your situation. I recall reading some years back about a fellow who escaped from commy Russia, and after 3 days of non-stop x-c running without a bite to eat, a kindly peasant woman gave him a pound brick of near-rancid lard. He ate the whole thing in like 3 bites & it was the best chow he'd ever had. Mmm, like the French say, "hunger makes ze best sauce"

AlpineTom,

The Outside Magazine article http://www.outsidemag.com/magazine/0395/3b_intk.html consulted one nutritionist. And I would assert that this person made their comments based on a very narrowly defined set of circumstances such as athletic competition where the prospective bar-eater was performing at, or near, aerobic capacity; And in that case, a liquid would be better than a bar.

Most climbers don't operate at that level for very long periods. Rather, we cruise at "fat-burning" low aerobic levels, and generally have no problem digesting fats and fibers while climbing (I know a few old mountaineers that favor canned sardines for high altitude).

Powerbar's nutritional profile is based on decades old (three, actually) research on endurance sports, and knowledge about diet and athletic performance is growing. Much previous research had demonstrated that endurance athletes can effectively maintain weight with a dietary intake of 20% fat (Powerbar has about 3%), and the supposition was that minimum fat intake was desirable. More recent research has indicated that a diet richer in fats (about 30% of total caloric intake) can improve VO2 max (the study was done at SUNY, but I don't have my notes with me for further information). But the nutritional profile alone can be misleading; It doesn't indicate the source of the calories, or the Glycemic Index of the food (which can be interpreted as a measure of how quickly the food is absorbed). Powerbars have been shown to spike blood sugar then drop it to below basal levels (which is not suprising given that the primary ingredient is corn syrup); Snickers bars actually performed more satisfactorly (research done by Steve Hertzler at Ohio State, I believe).

But, realistically, few people use energy bars as their only food source (which is a good thing considering that many are fortified, and relying on them for caloric needs alone would result in vitamin mega-dosing).

But you don't have to take my word on the subject; Just what do you crave after a day of climbing? Most likely, those foods indicate what you're lacking. Beer, chips and salsa? Probably carbs and sodium are what you need.

Of course, as you wrote, "If it tastes good and it works for you" is the most important consideration, and nothing works if it isn't consumed.

best regards,

Will McCarthy

When I'm mountaineering i don't want to lose weight... I want to maintain weight. I get cold fast enough already. MMMM choklit. MMM scotch.

Will is right I don't want to eat food formulated for some yuppy jogger trying to burn off a spare tire. But then again I don't and some chile-lime flavored bar isn't going to make me start suddenly.

I do like those clif choklit espresso bars with the peets coffee though for 1 AM alpine starts.

I've always hated PowerBars, since the first one I tried to eat many years ago, I puked after eating only 1/4 of it. Now I use Clif Shot packets when I am going for speed, my stomach gets upset easy and these digest really easy. Make sure you take one every 30 minutes, I never seem to remember this. I also like the new Clif bar flavors, they taste like candy bars and have all the good stuff in them. The new flavors are the "Ice Series", give them a try.

A wheat bagel has got the protein/fat content of a power bar. Add a multiday vitamin and you've basically got the same thing. But my favorite menu for mountaineering is simple: eat like the old masters, like Welzenbach, like Rubberfat, etc. Whip an "alpine snack platter" with salami, cheese and heavy bread. It'll kick your ass.