[TR sorta] "Dayton Gully", WA 1-27-07

MattMc

A group of us (six total) from WSU/UI climbed a 95m WI2+ route Saturday opposite the Dayton WA high school baseball field and across the Touchet river. David Pogue who climbed it 10 years ago (see e-mail below) has been calling it the "Dayton Gully". Kurt posted a pic further down. Looked a lot steeper from the straight on vantage across the river. Still a fun day though with a couple people getting their first time on ice and a short multi-pitch. Can be soloed and then rapped only because downclimbing would eat into time at the pub.

There weren't any webbing remains up top and I had to clean all this lovely tenacious and thorny brush [stream bed blackberry I'm told, 1/4"+ thick) for the last 10+ meters to the top of the ice. Yet again I forgot to bring brush cutters but the adze did the trick by chopping the offending plants where they emerged from the ice (about 60 deg left side).

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin's response:

Subject: Re: ice in Dayton WA?

Date: January 29, 2007 7:02:02 AM PST

To: Matt McAdoo

Hi Matt-

I climbed that about 10 years ago with Jim Cunningham. I'm sure yours was the 2nd ascent. I noticed that it had formed up again when we were coming back from the weeping wall a week or so ago. I remember there was a short steep bit at the bottom followed by long slabby section that we basically soloed. I also remember thrashing around in those trees near the top. I believe we rapped off of a couple of those trees that we tied together with some webbing. I have no idea who owns or manages the land. We just went over and climbed it. I've just been calling it the "Dayton Gully".

kevin

thats a pretty sweet looking line, almost completely out of context compared to the scenery in the rest of the photo.

most of the things around these parts are. remiscent of things in the eastern part of the Gorge (east of Biggs; which, by the way, are still iced up to some extent as of yesterday)