Beacon Rock/PDX area this Sunday (1/28)?

eldiente

Looks to be great weather this weekend and I'm looking to climb Beacon. Any takers? I can bring the rack and the rope. If for some reason Beacon is to windy or cold I'd be open for climbing someplace else around Portland that is a little more protected. Email me or PM me. natetack@gmail.com

-Nate

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wasn't so bad y-day - windy as hell for sure - my hands got cold enough on blownout that i accidentally punched the rock w/ my numbed hand and didn't realize it until i felt the wrist stop working and saw a big flapper on my knuckle - spent a minute moving all the gear to my right side so i could actually manipulate it :)

did the adventure rap down the n face w/ tour-guide opdyke n' company - fun times - like a vertical hobo camp - the evidence of the 1901 ascent is wild

did the adventure rap down the n face w/ tour-guide opdyke n' company - fun times - like a vertical hobo camp - the evidence of the 1901 ascent is wild

Great job Ken. Jim and I climbed up to rancho relaxo about 3 years ago, from the ground. Talk about crazy climbing. Grabbing onto the 12 inch spike coming out of the rock and using them for pro. That was cool. Glad to see you exploring. :tup:

Last Saterday was windy as hell. I climbed Little Wing and my whole body was swaying with the wind. Thought I was coming off for sure. Then at the belay I set my pack down and It blew right off the Rock down to the ground.

We did the corner pitch and then bailed off the tree againts my wishes, but Jim was wanting to get down. Bailing off the tree is some of the scariest shit I've ever done. While I was sitting on the roots of the tree, I actually felt the ground below me lift off of the rock. Fastest rappel I've ever done.

Jim liked the jacket you gave him Joseph. Now if we can all pitch in and get him a new harness and then convince him to accept it that would be great for his belay partner. He actually caught me on a 15 foot fall last spring and the duct tape held, thank god.

Stewart

get him a new harness and then convince him to accept it that would be great for his belay partner.

Never happen. I have been trying for 10 years. :tup:

kevin,

i still have your harness ( light blue ) that you were just as stubborn to retire a few years ago! i plan on saving it for a while and then bringing it out for a laugh down the road.

Last Saterday was windy as hell. I climbed Little Wing and my whole body was swaying with the wind. Thought I was coming off for sure. Then at the belay I set my pack down and It blew right off the Rock down to the ground.

We did the corner pitch and then bailed off the tree againts my wishes, but Jim was wanting to get down. Bailing off the tree is some of the scariest shit I've ever done. While I was sitting on the roots of the tree, I actually felt the ground below me lift off of the rock. Fastest rappel I've ever done.

Jim liked the jacket you gave him Joseph. Now if we can all pitch in and get him a new harness and then convince him to accept it that would be great for his belay partner. He actually caught me on a 15 foot fall last spring and the duct tape held, thank god.

Stewart

you're a punk snoop! you were supposed to be climbing down here last weekend.

we did four ground up first ascents... next time you should come?

get him a new harness and then convince him to accept it that would be great for his belay partner.

kevin,

i still have your harness ( light blue ) that you were just as stubborn to retire a few years ago! i plan on saving it for a while and then bringing it out for a laugh down the road.

How do you have my old harness? Did I leave it at your house or something? I would like to get it sometime from you!

What if we just buy it and then give it to him? I think Yates has a comfy aid harness.

I think the trick would be not only buy him a new one but to take his old one. :tup:

while stealing things from him, might as well take the smokes too - poor bastard sounds like a 1-man anti-smoking commercial!

Yep, that was pretty windy. I got tipped out of a sitting belay stance at the bottom of the corner ridge. Jim did seem to get the idea that, while not nearly as iconically stylish, the new gear can keep you fairly warm and you can still move your arms. That harness is a different story altogether. I haven't looked at it too close lately, but I suspect it's fine. I'm guessing you're right he'd only bite on a Misty or Yates - but even that's pretty dubious given he has a lot of love and identity wrapped up in that baby.

blownout

that must have been a fun belay. someone should fill up the tunnels with diesel and get some central heating going.

blownout got much calmer and nicer once up to the belay - the upper pitch is pretty sheltered - the thrutch onto the topout ledge woulda been ultra-epic though

I believe that was the weekend before last, and you had better save me a hand crack or two, or else I'll just have to keep repeating yours. were you at the Opal?

Yes I am a punk, got a job interview today so wish me luck, then I can travel as much as my bank account allows me too.

Beacon is closing feb 1st and I had to get one more lap in before the birds start to nest "ON THE EAST FACE!!!" Just venting, but It was cool coming over the lip on P1 of the corner and seeing a fresh duck head with the spinal cord hanging out of it. As much as Jim wants to see those birds go away, I love 'em.

snoop

Speaking of the tunnels, Jim seems to think that all the cracks at Beacon are connected. He states tat when you are having a meeting on the ledge you can hear people on the ground in front of the first hole. There voices coming up through the crack in the back of the ledge. Not sure how much weight I give this. Jim swears up and down this to be true.

Edited by kevbone

kevin,

How do you have my old harness? Did I leave it at your house or something? I would like to get it sometime from you!

not sure how i ended up with it. i've had it for a few years. ( and a few moves ) i've only saved it because i knew it would be funny down the road.

remember when i wouldn't let you belay me with it?

remember when i wouldn't let you belay me with it?

Ah…. those were the days. I also remember you forgetting your belay device and giving me a hip belay on a 4 pitch climb. I remember being that is was our second day of climbing together and the confidence you boasted gave me confidence to trust you completely. I remember you pulling the rope tight around your waist and yelling “I WILL NOT LET YOU FALL”, well that was good enough for me and off we went, up Young Warriors.