Mtn Lion Attack

ClimbingPanther

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my tongue stuck in my cheek there. I don't think we're the only species that looks out for number one though, we're just smarter (although this could be debated ) and more capable of doing so. Ya, I don't think they should have killed them either.

Yes and no... if wildlife officials can quell human fears of animals that have gotten "the taste of blood" then perhaps they can quell the redneck desire to poach and shoot animals at random. Up here bear attacks are really common and a very pragmatical approach is taken towards them: if the bear attacked unprovoked then the bear is shot. If the bear attacked because of natural reactions (protecting it's young, human in the trail etc.) then the attack is justified and the bear isn't killed. If no bears were killed every redneck would just assume that every bear was out to kill him and many more would be shot.

It's stupid to treat bears and cougars like criminals - but the public buys it and are to an extent thus willing to tolerate the presence of large predators.

Now that makes sense. :tup:

Grizzlies in Glacier Park walk through campgrounds and trails and eat people.

Grizzlies in the wilderness next door are hunted and it is rare to see any part of them except their ass quickly disappearing unless they are starving. They are hunted outside the park but not inside.

Charles Jonkel used to track them with radio collars as they walked back an forth across the border and behaved very differently depending on where they are. "Just dumb animals" is an ignorant misconception. Charles once said they are like teenagers. Most of them don't get into much trouble but those that do cause trouble for the rest. And those that do are difficult to impossible to "rehabilitate". Cats that attack humans are also very smart. They will not get any scholarships but most people grossly underestimate them. Once a cat "decides" to do something vicious to a human, that cat is a menace to anyone in the area because the fear of humans is gone. Cat wins. Cat is king. It also strikes me funny that people say the geese in Seattle area parks are a problem but don't kill any. Meanwhile they are willing to let chickens live their entire lives in cages so they can be killed and eaten. Geese taste good. We should eat some. If you are not a vegan, shut up. You cause the death of hundreds of chickens, cattle, etc in your lifetime. Just because you don't have to hear about it the way these cats made the news doesn't make it any more pleasnt for them.

You're only partly correct Bug.

"There is a black bear hunting season in Montana. An identification program set up by the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks is intended to prevent mistaken identity killings of grizzly bears. Killing a grizzly bear in the lower 48 States is both a federal and state offense that can bring criminal and civil penalties of up to $50,000 and a year in jail."

But....having hiked in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, I have never seen the problems with griz that Glacier NP has. Back country travelers in the Bob carry guns. Griz are routinely shot at and scared away, not coddled like in the national parks. So they do have a real fear of man. Occasionally one is killed in self defense, but there is not a regular hunting season. But what do you know, you're only a bug!

The Canadian Geese you see flying around Seattle are not the same geese that are sold for food. If I remember right the CG are nasty and you wouldn't like eating one.

There was an Asian guy who was seen killing one but they couldn't find him. The following week he was out there again to get another. He must have disagreed with you.

But he was arrested so the geese are safe to "ruin" our parks and lakes again.

The laws must have changed. They used to issue permits for the killing of a very low number of Griz. I think it was under 10. I was a wilderness ranger in the Scapegoat and met a few hunters with permits being "guided" to where the griz were (how did that elk die there anyway).

The Canadian Geese you see flying around Seattle are not the same geese that are sold for food. If I remember right the CG are nasty and you wouldn't like eating one.

Wild goose meat is lean, dark and tastes pretty good. Domesticated goose meat is white, greasy and has no taste. The USDA tested all of the geese they rounded up and slaughtered at Green Lake, Lake Washington and other areas around Seattle. They all passed the health standards and were donated to homeless shelters.

Cats that attack humans are also very smart. They will not get any scholarships but most people grossly underestimate them. Once a cat "decides" to do something vicious to a human, that cat is a menace to anyone in the area because the fear of humans is gone. Cat wins. Cat is king.

Exactly. Mountain lions need more educational opportunities. The federal govt needs to increase the number of scholarships targeted to the large cats. Bush could call it

No Cougar left behind.

i live on the far north side of Eugene. there was a cougar spotted in the playground at my kids grade school last week.

How nice of you to visit the kids Muff. Did you cougar the day care dude? 8D

that is the normal way things go.... this cougar was the furry kind ;) not the miss muffin kind 8D