golden ears question

Fence_Sitter

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, that is Evans peak...you can make out the white dyke on the lower right of the pic...Evans creek is way way shorter of an approach to reach Blanshard...I spent a couple rainy days with some friends clearing the trail this spring so it's in good shape right now...when you leave the trail and begin heading up the creek bed you will eventually come to a V-junction..take the left side or you'll be heading off into the rhubarb...I came down the gully a number of weeks ago from a traverse and found very little snow in it, making it a scree/mud slope right now, but very do-able if you're in the right mindset...I'm betting the snow is pretty much all gone now?...I have chosen to head over from Alouette this time of year, longer on time, but less unsavoury...

go from the blanchard-alouette col and drop down west to the base of the face. there is a vague description in fairley guide. Brian Moorehead, who did the FA, told me that nowadays it would be rated about 5.7. the rock is supposedly solid for the first 10 pitches or so then gets a bit loose for the last 2 towards the summit. there is not much vegetation, I think. i have always wanted to check that face out, now is probably the best time of year if'n it doesnt rain this weekend.

FenceSitter....from Alouette it's just a long 10K or so hike to Alouette then drop down towards Blanshard..easy...Ya Dru, the scree is not that bad but I have encountered boot deep mud up that gully before, maybe not now...just trying to give as much info as possible...FenceSitter, are you doing a traverse of the peaks or just blanshard??...if doing a traverse I'd highly recommend climbing GEars first then Edge, then Blanshard...a few reasons for that choice...

ya, that's plenty of time...I did it in a long day not too long ago...the most technical situation is negotiating the krummholtz (sp?)...those nasty, tenacious, unyielding bushy little trees that cover much of the terrain...otherwise, the W face of Blanshard is a very doable day trip...good luck...

go in to GEars via the regular trail...then cross over to Edge...traverse on the high descending ridge towards Blanshard...climb Blanshard then descend the regular route and out via Evans creek...one thing to consider is that i had more daylight hours than now, and am pretty familiar with the way off Blanshard and the way out Evans creek access...have you been up there before? otherwise, hike in saturday afternoon/night with headlamps you could easily make it up to panorama ridge...from there you would have all day sunday to finish the traverse...the hike up to GEars is the longest part...12K or so one way?....