Cragging this week

Jens

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it was just me and a buddy. Tavashtarketena and I got started late on Sunday due to being at the Vic and the Reynolds the night before.

Climbs were plenty fat.

The Duffy was pretty strange on saturday- Ice in more new places than I have seen in 10 years of going to Lillooet averaging 2-3trips a year but all the climbs were are had taking a beating from the sun and or warmth. It is plenty good right now though and I'm betting Feb. is gonna be really good! I forgot how much I love Lillooet.

Yeah, it WAS a lot of drag (that's my sorry butt out there). What can I say - I'm a newb trad leader and got off the best line (which is easier to do relative to clipping bolts). That being said, I think I placed solid pro and made it up to the snag and the next belay safely. Part of the learning experience.

Roboboy pointed out after the fact that the lower, more direct, line was quite protectable. At the time, I didn't notice the small features he referred to (I fixated on the larger, more obvious opportunities to place gear higher up), but again, chalk it up to inexperience. Next time out, I'll know better.

Zig Zag on Eire is a fun route and fairly rated at 5.7 (the crux move on the next pitch compared quite well to 5.7 routes at Stone Gardens). This section and the first pitch was a grade or two below that.

The view from up there on Saturday was amazing. Weather - what more can you ask for on January 27th. Makes me wish we'd gone back there on Sunday instead of out to Exit 38 which was cold with howling wind.

Edited by AR_Guy

nice work! Zig Zag is fun. small gear would have allowed a more direct line w/o rope drag or just extend those out of line placements with a sling. The first pitch dihedral is sweet for the grade, but too short. Combine that with the Springboard for a fun moderate route on the Eriehorn. looks like a fun day out!

Yeah - that IS a fun climb. I'm definately going back there and do it again. Next time I hope to lead the whole thing and do it with some style.

We had the full set of gear - cams down to 0.3 and a full set of nuts from 4 to 13. Roboboy actually placed the smallest nut as the first piece heading up the 3rd pitch. I just didn't notice the opportunities in the more direct line. I guess it's part of the learning process - to spot those less than blatently obvious spots for pro on a slabby climb.

I suppose I could have extended the pieces more - as it was, I had a sling on them.

I totally agree that the first pitch dihedral is sweet - I really enjoyed that section. I also really liked the crux sequence. All in all a very fun, fairly graded climb.

Yeah - that IS a fun climb. I'm definately going back there and do it again. Next time I hope to lead the whole thing and do it with some style.

We had the full set of gear - cams down to 0.3 and a full set of nuts from 4 to 13. Roboboy actually placed the smallest nut as the first piece heading up the 3rd pitch. I just didn't notice the opportunities in the more direct line. I guess it's part of the learning process - to spot those less than blatently obvious spots for pro on a slabby climb.

I suppose I could have extended the pieces more - as it was, I had a sling on them.

I totally agree that the first pitch dihedral is sweet - I really enjoyed that section. I also really liked the crux sequence. All in all a very fun, fairly graded climb.

The better version of Pitch 2 is to climb "undercover" (5.7) the obvious crack/roof thing that slants up to the right. Clip 2 bolts on slabby terrain directly above the zig-zag p. 1 anchor, then follow the Crack feature to the Sprinboard ledge. Then either do Springboard (best, 5.8) or the final pitch of zig-zag.

Its bolted a bit funny...

Is this one of those where bolts come right after cruxy moves? If so, might somebody have been trying to bolt these things in a fashion that prevents climbers from cheating and grabbing a bolt?

yeah, bolts right after the cruz, but i think kloke is just a wacko who doesn't take the time to climb or rehearse his routes before he drills away. damn shame what he's doing to Mt. Erie.