Which Garmin GPS

Buckaroo

Trying to decide between the eTrex Legend CX and the eTrex Vista CX. The Vista is $50 more and has an additional magnetic compass and barometric altimeter. How useful are these for GPS navigation?

the sales guy said the Legend doesn't point a bearing until you start moving?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the older Legend (not the Cx) and it is great. It's true it doens't point out a bearing until you start moving but in my opinion you don't need it until then; if you're holed up in a tent you can always get started with a compass bearing and adjust as you move. Plus I always carry a real compass b/c I don't trust that my GPS won't break when I'm out in the middle of nowhere in a snowstorm.

The barometric altimeter is a good extra; but chances are you or someone in your group will already have a watch with a barameter so it's not really that necessary. Plus give it 15 minutes and your GPS coordinates will roughly calculate altitude fairly accurately.

I went through the whole GPS search last year and came to the conclusion that it's better to have a cheaper easy to use model that has long battery life then all the extras that come on the new models. All you really need is the ability to load maps and store waypoints and use those waypoints to navigate. All the other stuff is fluff.

I haven't used either but I say that getting a magnetic compass and barometric altimeter for $50 is worth it. That way you don't have to carry those two items separately (assuming they work well on the eTrex), which reduces weight and cluster.

I assume they also have time functions and alarm...? That would be nice.

Edited by dbconlin

thoughts on the compass....I always carry a back-up compass even though my GPS has a magnetic compass. It weighs nothing, and I get a little nervous being wholly dependant on anything that is battery powered, and can be dropped/stepped on, etc.

Edited by ericb

Yes it has time and alarm, gets time from the sats just like a cell phone.

Yes, will take a regular compass also.

both of these have most of the bells and whistles, agree it's mostly fluff, and like most other complex elec gadgits, you may not ever even learn to use it all. But the main thing they have over the less expensive models is battery life. With alkaline they go about 34 hrs. The next closest is 22 hrs.

Battery life is what I was waiting for in the technology. With lithiums these should go for a while. Maybe even leave it on during summit day.

I would trade bells and whistles for a thermometer, also so it could compensate the altimeter, but oh well it gets alt from the sats also.

IMO, if you can afford it, go for the Vista, though the Legend probably won't let you down either. the compass alone is worth the extra (though I do still bring an addl). Its a time savings issue... with the Vista, I'm able to stop, glance down, look at the map, and just keep going, no fussing with holding it out in the direction of travel etc.

The Vista Cx I'm using lasts a whole day out on two cheap AAs. The best thing about these new units though is the color maps, so easy to read!

i have a couple of questions for eTrex users:

-what do you have to buy in order to download good topo maps?

-if you stick the unit in your pocket, do you have to wait for it to acquire satelites again before you will get an accurate point? how long?

-what do you do to get around the previous question?

You have to buy Garmin's Map Source software (http://www.garmin.com/cartography/) and then buy the maps extra. It is possible to have a copy of someone else's software - but you have to do a registry hack in order to load it onto your computer. Here's how to edit the registry: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=76184&st=0&p=997256entry997256

My GPS doesn't read in my pocket. I usually clip it to my pack strap on my chest and it works. And when you turn it on it picks up the sats in about 5 minutes unless you're in a deep valley - if so sometimes it can be 10-20 minutes.

Went with the Vista CX, seems pretty user friendly. The maps are kind of a rip. Got the national parks topo CD because it's 1-25,000. ($100). The full NA topo CD is only 1-100,000.

Haven't found a case to fit it, the case Garmin sells fits sort of but the display window is the wrong size and covers the side edges of the screen. May just put some clear tape on the display lens. The unit is rubber padded anyway except on top.

Neat tech. You can plot out a route on a peak and then download it to the PC and look at it on Google Earth. Now when G.E. loads some better resolution topos it will be really neat.

Was sort of hesitant about GPS, you know the ethics issue, until I read that House used one on N Face of N Twin descent.

I was hesitant too -- but then last April we attempted a glacier traverse where we had continually nasty storms that dumped 6+ feet of snow on us. We navigated back to the car in a complete white out using the GPS... the only thing we could see was the other rope team who continually yelled "Sk left... ski right!!". Granted we could have just holed up and spent a day or two sans food and fuel and made it back safe and sound in clear weather - but it was pretty nice to get the hell out of there when we could.

This is what it looked like for 20 miles; we could barely tell up from down:

Mtn_Kenai%20-%2086.jpg