Broken Top NW Ridge in Winter?

Mon_Col

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really depends on conditions, and how you plan on approaching the NW Ridge. Are you going in Green Lakes? Just realize the road will be gated, w/out a sled your looking at pretty hefty approach. You may need a rope for the last pitch if it's really icy, depends on your comfort level. A picket or two might be good but i doubt screws are gonna do much for you.

The majority of the ridge is pretty chill with decent exposure as you go higher.

Mon Col-

The NW Ridge is a long way from anywhere in the winter. You can do one of the routes in the bowl like 9 O'clock or 11 O'Clock Coulior in one day from the Mt Bachelor Parking Lot, even without a sled.

With the NW Ridge, you are probably looking at 3 days or so. Which would be a fun outing in and of itself. If you are comfortable on 45 degree snow for 9 O'clock, 50 deg for 11 O'clock, you won't need to bring any gear with you.

These routes are covered pretty well in Oregon High.

Have a great time out there!

Both 9 and 11 are in great shape right now. Boot pack up both, and some brave soul skiied 11 in less than ideal conditions. Didn't bother to traverse over to the summit, just rapped back down 9 off the extremely convenient rap webbing/ring up top.

Beautiful day out there today, really good climbing conditions, survival skiing for sure.

Oh yeah, some total ass sledneckers thought it would be a good idea to sled into the bowl and high mark halfway up High Noon. This kind of blatant disregard for the wilderness boundary will end up hurting us all. If i ever see someone up there on a sled I'll hit em with my board. Or a flare.

Josh

Edited by jlag

• 1 month later...

Okay - so anyone been up there recently? What's terrain like from the B parking lot to base? I'm new at the ski sled thing - should I be okay?

Any other recommendations for something else steep to play on if we went for a few days? Anyone tell me what Prody is like in the winter?

Thanks for the help....