diedre direct

thelawgoddess

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooops. lets see. i musta been thinking of Straight Up. Diedre Direct has 1 whole bolt. You go up to the little tree (use 3rd class ramp on left) then traverse left to the end of the ledge the tree is on, then climb a 5.9 pitch to the base of the Diedre corner, bypassing about 6 parties on the way.

Do Snake instead.

[ 09-12-2002, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Dru ]

it's not that crowded. if you get up early you don't have to deal with lineups.

i climbed diedre in april but i wasn't leading back then. i'm thinking of doing it again (except leading this time) because i might be taking someone who hasn't done any trad climbing whatsoever and i think they would enjoy it. just wondering about the direct start as an alternative (in case there ARE a bunch of people at the regular one).

banana peel has many more bypass options than Diedre. Eg, do the direct 5.8 pitch between the faults, then the 10a thing to the left of the waves/corner pitch. Up the groove to the niche above the scraggy tree (belay as high as possible) Then step left out of the niche onto Sparrow and do a long (full 60, 1 bolt) 5.8 pitch to the trees 2 pitches from Broadway. Then just climb past people Euro style - clip their gear and step on their long-slung hexes dragging on the 25 degree slab [laf]

i did snake last time i was in squish. [Razz]

i've also done a troll's sonnet (which leaves me with no desire to do banana peel). and i did calculus crack in july.

i just remember diedre (as my first climb in squish and my first multi-pitch climb and only a few weeks since i'd really started climbing) got me really excited. [big Grin]