Bolting, or at least drilling

Kit

Here's one that ought to get everyone's undies bundled.

I've never bolted before. Does anyone hand drill anymore? About how long would it take to hand drill a 1/2"x5" hole in good granite?

No, I'm not going to Dishman Rocks in Spokane.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rumr are you saying hand drilling in granite is bad or just laborious? How much can I expect to pay to rent, and what will my time savings be? Any hints for me or problems I might encounter?

Edited by Kit

I was wondering when someone would ask... its actually for some artwork, I'm drilling the holes in granite cobbles.

I've been told to use diamond bits on a press, but couldn't figure out why I would do that when climbers put holes in rock without all that expense all the time. So, I was hoping someone would shed some light for me, see what I'm up against.

Nice trip up the Lochsa, by the way kurt.

Here's one that ought to get everyone's undies bundled.

I've never bolted before. Does anyone hand drill anymore? About how long would it take to hand drill a 1/2"x5" hole in good granite?

No, I'm not going to Dishman Rocks in Spokane.

Rent or barrow a hammer drill. Bro, if you are standing on the ground with leverage, with my drill you could drill each hole in 30 seconds instead of 45 minutes a whole. I say 45 minutes because by the sound of it, you are a beginner, and have never drilled a hole for a bolt. Go get a drill. Screw all that work. Just my thoughts.

I'd say Kevbone's estimate is probably about right. 1/2 x 5" is a big hole. 3/8 x 2 1/2, in granite, takes about 15 or maybe 20 minutes with a hand drill. Drilling cobbles, in a vice or something so they don't wiggle on you, I'd expect double that or more.

One thing about hand drilling: you don't burn up the bits like you do using a power drill.

Ok, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Now I can dispense with all that diamond-bit-drill-press rubbish. You guys are full of good information despite what anyone might say. Any guesses about how many bits I will need to get the job done? I will look for a drill this week, I don't need a cordless so the rental shops are bound to have one.

I almost want to do it by hand, as SG said, there would be the truly "handmade" factor and I'd get to see what things are like for the purists. Anyone in Spokane want to loan me their hand-drill handle? :) :) ...but I have a pretty good idea now that motivation will last about one or two days, and I'll be looking for a drill.

Thanks a bunch all!

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Now I can dispense with all that diamond-bit-drill-press rubbish.

It is good that throughing that idea out, cause you probably just waste a good diamond bit.

Figure a few days at least to handrill the all those holes you want to. I can't imagine that a day rental for a hammer drill would cost more than around $30.