[TR] Paulina Falls Ice - 1/15/2007

Mike_G

Trip Report:

Trip: Paulina Falls Ice - Right Side of Main Falls

Date: 1/15/2007

Trip Report:

Not sure if this would be better in the Oregon forum or the Ice Climbing forum, so I put it in both. Hope that's alright...

We skiied into Paulina Falls on MLK day to check out the ice after a few days of cold, and it was pretty nice! This was my first time on waterfall ice, and it had been a few years since my friend, Troy, had climbed ice, so we just TRed the right (south) side of the main (north) falls.

DSC7397.jpg

DSC7409.jpg

Insane landscape!

DSC7274.jpg

Troy rapping down in.

Not being an ice climber, I'm not sure of the quality of it all, but we had a hell of a good time! It was fairly easy climbing, I assume, felt like about 5.8 on rock (if that's even a valid comparison). Anyone know about what this climb might be rated on the WI scale?

DSC7313.jpg

Me topping out.

DSC7339.jpg

Jen looking solid.

DSC7377.jpg

Ruth gives it a try!

The ice was wide enough to allow two different routes squeezed in there, although the routes were pretty short. It was quite dry for most of the day, drier than I had anticipated. The smaller south falls looked in, too, although it wasn't as convenient to set up a TR there.

The four of us climbed until about 4:30 when the warm sun left us, then we boogied out under the crimson sky. I think Jen and I are hooked, although we kind of live in the wrong place to enjoy it very often... Anyone been up this week after a bit of warmer weather?

DSC7363.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, G-spot, I figure if they get in the way I can just sever them with my frontpoints. Did I mention that I'm a newb?

BTW, there's an article in the Bend Bulletin about ice climbing today. Nothing too exciting, but alright. I actually read the sports page!

We just used daisy chains as umbilicals, and leashes as leashes. Is it pretty standard to only use umbilicals or leashes? I was just pretty much going with what my buddy Troy did, but he's not super experienced and hasn't been out in quite some time. All I know was that I wasn't planning on dropping a tool 'cause there wasn't much for easier ways out of the canyon...