[TR] Avalanche - 1/20/2007

ilookeddown

Trip: Avalanche -

Date: 1/20/2007

Trip Report:

Yesterday I was caught in an avalanche. It crowned about 40ft above me and was 8” to 10” deep slab about 30’ across. It ran about 200’ and completely buried me. There were many things I could have done to avoid being caught but ignored the signs. Here is a quick run down.

I was touring alone in an area that I have been dozens of times before. I was traversing across an open slope and noticed some recent avalanche activity. I toured across a slope that had recently slid into an area that had not slid yet. As I entered the area I heard a “whoomp” sound. I stopped, looked around then took one more stride so I could do a kick turn and go back the other way. As I was in the middle of turn I looked up and the slope released. I had one ski going one way and the other going the other and I was facing the slope. There was nothing I could do as I was hit by the snow. I fell backwards facing up with my skis uphill as I slid down the hill and quickly covered by the snow. Once I stopped, I was able to get my right hand to the surface and make a hole so I could breathe. From there I was able to dig my self out. I lost a pole.

Here is a list of my mistakes. I was alone, I did check stability along to way but not on that slope, I was in a terrain trap that could have been avoided but was too lazy to go down to a safe area b/c I didn’t want to go back up, I knew there was a very good chance the slope could slide b/c of recent activity but took the chance, I felt it’s not going to happen to me.

In addition, one of my regular touring partners was caught in one today near Stevens today. He was with someone and wasn’t completely covered.

I know I’ll get some shit but I feel I should post this as a reminder as we get more and more comfortable out there to be safe.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you already pointed out some of your mistakes, I hope you don't mind if I point out another interesting point.

I have been dozens of times before

I think that we tend to get comfortable on our home turf, and think in the back of our heads that we know an area really well. There is sometimes the little voice that says, "I've never seen this slide before..." Well, sometimes 100 or 200 yr old trees get smoked, so what we have seen is really an insignifigant data point.

Thanks for sharing, glad you got lucky.

Glad you're able to write about it the next day. Frightening stuff. I think back on the days I've toured alone and know I've been lucky, but never THIS lucky.

Once you get your wits about you, maybe you can fill in some gaps. Where exactly were you if I may ask? East or west of the crest? What aspect of slope as well as other minute details?

I was afraid someone would get buried Saturday. Most unstable conditions I have ever riden. We set off slide trailbreaking, the trailbreaker was lucky not to have been taken for a ride. The slope directly in front of him released. Then on the way down, a set off a slab. First time I have had that experience. Anyway glad your safe and not hurt. Hopefully no one was killed this weekend.

glad you posted. Good reminder to keep safe out there. Two years ago I as nearly traped by two avi's in a span of 5 minutes. I was alone and ignored the signs. Fortunely I was not buried (by happenstance in a safe zone), but it has changed the way I cimb and BC tour. Much safer and keep evaluation snow conditions all the way too the top. Experience can be a crule mistress.

Everybody keep safe out there.

Edited by letsroll

Very unstable weekend for sure. As stated before started multiple slides. We were at Heather Ridge(Stevens Pass) we did a Rutschblock test(buddy needed practice for a test he is taking soon to get certified) on a North facing 35° slope. There were two noticable layers, one at roughly 12" and then another layer roughly 12" down from the first layer. The top layer slid while stepping onto the block(R-2). The layer below that slid after a few hard jumps(R5-6). Hopefully the lower layer, will gain even strength and not weaken.

The NWAC avy report was for modearate below 6000 ft I think?

A few folks and I were attempting Chair Peak on Sunday and turned around just above the Thumbtack due to avy conditions we didn't like. Things in the valley bottom and the slopes above Source lake seemed ok, but up near the base of Chair there was a relatively recent crown showing, and I think due to the wind things had slabbed up a little more. On the way out we also saw what looked like avy debris on the west side of the Source Lake basin.

So glad you are safe now!!!! Was the whoomping sound similar to what you have heard before? I've heard it and it creeps me out every time, luckily I've been on safe terrain or already very weary of the danger when I've heard it. Do you think the noise was actually the slab failing, but it didn't move until a moment later?

On Saturday near Stevens Pass, we saw lots of naturals (some quite large, but relatively thin). The first one we set off I triggered from below - completely suprised, my brain was turned off because I didn't seem to be in avy terrain - except there was a short 37 degree roll above and to the side of me where the trees started. I heard the woomph, and said something like "yikes" in response to the creepy sound. Then my friend told me to look above me, where I saw the slope had fractured about a foot deep and debris was coming down. It wasn't massive enough to reach me on the flatter terrain though.

We set off tons of small ones during the day, and another not so small one in the forest, whose debris piled up to my shoulders. On pretty much anything over 30-35 degrees you would trigger a slab. This was down well below treeline too, and on all aspects. Definitely a day where you had to change your normal mindset on what is safe and what is not.

I would say conditions were "natual avalanches probable, human-triggered avalanches certain" --> considerable or high. Forecast was for moderate danger at our elevation (~4000-5000ft).

Edited by philfort

The NWAC avy report was for modearate below 6000 ft I think?

Recent Avy forecasts are available here.

BACKCOUNTRY AVALANCHE FORECAST FOR THE OLYMPICS WASHINGTON

CASCADES AND MT HOOD AREA

NORTHWEST WEATHER AND AVALANCHE CENTER SEATTLE WASHINGTON

900 AM PST SAT JAN 20 2007

DETAILED FORECASTS

ZONE AVALANCHE FORECASTS

* OLYMPICS, WASHINGTON CASCADES NEAR AND WEST OF THE

CREST-

Considerable avalanche danger above 5000 feet and

moderate below 5000 feet Saturday. Gradually decreasing

danger Saturday night and early Sunday becoming

considerable above 6000 feet and moderate below.

Further decreasing danger Sunday afternoon and night

becoming moderate below 7000 feet, with the greatest

danger persisting above 6000 feet on lee slopes.

SATURDAY, SATURDAY NIGHT

Decreasing snow showers further cooling and decreasing

winds are expected Saturday morning. Becoming partly to

mostly cloudy with light winds late Saturday and Saturday

night. Recent wind slab deposits should be slow to settle

under cool temperatures. This should make triggered slab

avalanches likely above about 5000 feet where backcountry

travelers should be increasingly cautious in steeper

terrain, avoiding any wind loaded slopes.

SUNDAY, SUNDAY NIGHT

Mainly high clouds light winds and continued cool

temperatures Sunday should allow for a further and slowly

decreasing danger. Some areas of wind slab may persist at

higher elevations where caution is still urged.

Backcountry travelers should continue to assess local

snowpack stabilities and use safe travel techniques.

I recall some recent cold clear nights which prolly provided a nice opportunity for surface hoar to form. Could be that was the burried weak layers and it may have been hard to detect. You skibums should take note of when those *cold clear nights* happen and presume something is hidden if it snows afterword.