Weight Loss Contest

Peter_Puget

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stop talking about food!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go play outside!!!!!!!

I did. i went out and hit grounders and fly balls to the boys. god i suck at baseball. but we had fun and ran around. does that count as exercise?

well yaaaw!! practice makes perfect sense....... i enjoy you....

Okay, so I gained weight and am now heavier than when I started.

Note to self: don't start diet when depressed.

depression alert in aisle 4!!!!!!!! send reinforcement.......

who has tarnished your peace

oh ,archy of us all.

his head now lay

at your feet.

Good one, Virendra :)

The only thing I've found to work when I'm depressed is chocolate. Hugs, Arch.

Yay on using the evil spray tonight! :tup: Don't forget, this weight thing lasts a month. Most of us are planning to do it longer so there's going to be lots of swings in both directions. The key will be to keep at it and not give up.

Today after spending the afternoon at urgent care with three kids, getting crutches for my 9 yo and having to drive around Vancouver to find a small enough ankle brace/air cast for her, I just gave in and went to Baja Fresh to get everyone dinner. I figured that had to be on the healthy end of fast food if there is such a thing. Got a bare veggie burrito and that still felt like cheating even though there was no tortilla, cheese or sour cream.

I'm not too bright, but how do you make a burrito without the tortilla? I've been making some tacos with corn tortillas; I figure that's better than the big fatty flower tortillas.

Tonight I made spaghetti with sauce and a sausage then a salad. I do use a measuring thingy to keep me at 1 serving of pasta. I don't have exact numbers, but I believe I've been keeping my diet to around 1500 cal/day.

I like that. Thank you.

So tonight I'll just eat seafood jambalya and only sautee with that evil spray stuff rather than butter. What are the rest of you doing?

Tonite the chef will be tantalizing your tastebuds with a first course of Sherri's salad especial, followed by hot helping of homemade lentil curry spooned over succulent spaghetti squash, accompanied by a leggy red with a naughty hint of spice lurking behind a lingering finish.

Care to join me?

I like that. Thank you.

So tonight I'll just eat seafood jambalya and only sautee with that evil spray stuff rather than butter. What are the rest of you doing?

Misstress Archie,

here is one GIANT hug for you.

((((((((((((0)))))))))))))))

for dinner i had half a dinner sald half a bbq chicken sandwich about 7 fries and half a giant cookie with ice cream. i figure that was about 1000 calories so that puts me at about 1800 for the day. and i am sasiated and satisfied and happy. 2 weeks ago i would have eaten a whole of everything.

I'm not too bright, but how do you make a burrito without the tortilla? I've been making some tacos with corn tortillas; I figure that's better than the big fatty flower tortillas.

Tonight I made spaghetti with sauce and a sausage then a salad. I do use a measuring thingy to keep me at 1 serving of pasta. I don't have exact numbers, but I believe I've been keeping my diet to around 1500 cal/day.

Hey Kurt have you tried the whole wheet tortillas?? some of them are 80-110 calories and quite good. and the whole wheat ones are better for you than corn(i think). i read somewhere that the reason the feed corn to pigs is to fatten them up and it does the same to people. but i don't know how true that is.

Well you must be ecstatic then. I am not depressed enough to stop eating, just enough to stop working out.

i am not super happy and i am not really depressed. someone sugested i might be content, but i don't know. whatever it is i eat. and when i eat i get chubby.

BTW i got the go ahead from the doc!~!!! i am free of the cast and can do wahtever i want. however he mentiond that my arches are falling. i have to go see a peditrist :cry:

Hey Kurt have you tried the whole wheet tortillas?? some of them are 80-110 calories and quite good. and the whole wheat ones are better for you than corn(i think). i read somewhere that the reason the feed corn to pigs is to fatten them up and it does the same to people. but i don't know how true that is.

Hmmm I always figured the corn tortillas were better for you than the standard flower ones, but that was just my guess. I may be totally wrong; I don't know.

AlpineK,

Along the same lines as wheat vs. corn with glycemic index, you could substitute spaghetti squash for the pasta.

"The Marvelous Spaghetti Squash

Spaghetti squash is amazing. Measuring 8 to 14" long and weighing about 4 1/2 pounds, little is known of it's history. It's taste is similar to summer squash, but that is the end of comparison. You cut it open, remove the seeds, bake or steam it and it's meat comes out in long strands that look like spaghetti, so it makes a wonderful visual replacement for our high carb, high glycemic old pal spaghetti.

Top a huge pile of spaghetti squash with one of the many pasta sauces out there and be ready to feast on a fresh, naturally al dente strand that let's you have 16 times as much of the lovely squash as you do pasta. In 4 ounces (100 grams) this marvel of nature has only 5 grams of carbohydrates as opposed to 1/8 cup of pasta. So instead of 1/4 cup (or 1/2 ounce dry) of cooked pasta for a single serving block, you get 7 ounces of cooked spaghetti squash PER SINGLE BLOCK. And as it is with all floppy kinds of foods, it is better to WEIGH your portion than to try to stuff it into a measuring cup.

COOKING

To bake it, split lengthwise and remove the seeds in the central cavity. While you CAN bake it whole, it is very painful trying to hold it still to remove the seeds when everything is 350 degrees and you are trying to dish it out to serve it hot. Bake it hollow side up. The riper the squash, the faster it will cook, but figure about 30 to 40 minutes for a halved squash to bake.

Check to see that it is baked by piercing the flesh with a fork. It should be soft and the flesh should separate into fat spaghetti-like strands. Avoid overcooking which will make the flesh become bland and mushy. It is best when still slightly crunchy, as it is 92% water.

You can also microwave it, preparing it by slicing in half, removing seeds and then cooking each half for 6 to minutes. Most cookbooks will tell you to cover it with plastic wrap to cook it like this, but don't you dare unless you are fond of adding plastic to your blood stream. Soft plastic especially will slightly melt and let off plastic toxins that will flavor your foods and mimic certain hormones when they get into the blood stream as xenohormones. Some scientists suggest that these plastics in our foods are the reason for larger feet, larger breasts and lowering the onset of puberty by 4 years across the United States. Instead, cook it on a microwave safe glass plate with the cut side down to retain the moisture inside the squash."

Just don't cook it in plastic, or apparently you'll get big feet. Or worse. :o

Hmmm I always figured the corn tortillas were better for you than the standard flower ones, but that was just my guess. I may be totally wrong; I don't know.

try the whole wheet ones :) i think you might like them.

They make a bare burrito by putting all the ingredients in a bowl rather than a tortilla and then put lettuce and tomatoes on top. I added salsa to that. So it's kinda like a burrito salad. And they don't serve chips with it either. Thank goodness.

So last night I ended up breaking down, well sort of. My plan is to limit myself to 6 drinks a week. Well last night I had a friend over and had a double scotch (2 drinks) and beer. :cry: That leaves me with 3 for the weekend. Damn it had been since saturday since I had a beer, it tasted so damn good, but this morning I woke up sort of guilty that I indulged with 3 drinks, so I went and weighed myself maybe to give me some more amo to beat myself with. I weighed in at 192, I was shocked. I came back and did it again and I was still 192, and I hadn't even pooped. It made me stoked to get to my goal weight and made me believe I can get there.

I gonna climb hard and ride hard as soon I drop my weight belt. I can't weight.